December 27, 2016

2016 WINTER COAT PROJECT COMPLETION...

...it's done ya'll!!!  Nineteen days start to finish.  Nineteen days start to feel like forever when you are working with the same fabric. Some days I only worked a little, and I did take 2 full days off because I just needed a break from the checked pattern.  I LOVE the coat making process and the results that it yields; just wish it wouldn't take me so long to complete the projects.

This years pattern & fabric choice: I became intrigued by this pattern after seeing it floating around sewing blog-sphere.  I loved it's oversized easy boyfriend style and it was just what I wanted for this years coat project.  The fabric was gifted to me by fellow Pericrafter member Timesa Spencer-Johnson from Fresno, California.  I knew this fabric would become a coat when I first unboxed it.
 
The Silvia Coatigan Pattern Review:
I found this German brand pattern very true to size.  Of course I used a conversion chart to help me translate the pattern's centimeter language to inches.  I was a little concerned about the waist and hip measurements so I added 1" to the side seams only have to remove the excess after fitting.

Pattern Instructions:  Sketchy with no diagrams or pictures AT ALL.
I had to call on previous coat making experience throughout the entire construction process.  Working with 3/8" seam allowances (which is what I hear is used across the board in industry) opposed to my usual 5/8" was a little strange. I had to constantly remind myself to use 3/8" (I guess 5/8" is engraved on my brain).

Alterations made to the pattern:
Added 2 1/2" to the sleeve length.  I have long arms and didn't want to chance coming up short (something that happened on a previous coat project).
Added 1 1/2" to the width of the lapel and collar as suggested by Nancy K (Nancy K Sews), and I think it was a wonderful suggestion; and the red lining per Marianna (Foxgloves and Thimbles).  I might add choosing the check over a taupe fabric I had was the general consensus of commenters.    Oh yes, and don't forget all the encouragement I get from my Mother, Inell!  It takes a village to build a coat folks.


Would I make the coat again:
I love the pockets on this coat and found them unique.  They envelope right up into the horizontal seam in the coat front.  I would definitely make this boyfriend style coat again.  I think it would be a breeze to make up in a solid fluffy weave wool of some type.  ANY FABRIC SUGGESTIONS???

40 comments:

  1. Wow! I knew this coat was going to be beautiful when completed! I love the pockets in the seams…what a great looking coat! This would look great in the Teal colored wool as well or maybe even the Navy! Great job Ms. Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra! You always boost me up! I'd love to get my hands on some teal or navy wool!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Love the pockets, perfect choice for lining.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty! The pockets and lining do it for me too. Thinking about incorporating the pockets onto a cardigan. I think it would be easy now that I have this pattern.

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful jacket! I love the red lining too. Thank you for the informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it came out beautiful! Your checks line up perfectly, and the red is a beautiful contrast lining! I think a camel's hair look wool would be great with this jacket pattern, too, maybe with a lovely, colorful paisley lining?

    Merry Christmas, Faye, and I hope you're having a great winter vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjie and that's a good fabric suggestion too. Happy New Years to you and your family. Vacation has been wonderful, nothing much done besides sewing. My house is a MESS!

      Delete
  5. This is so lovely! Turned out great, and you need to model it. What about a winter white wool, with a deep purple lining? Or maybe a taupe tweed ...so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I'll have to wait until the temps drop a little bit before wearing we had 76 degrees for Christmas. Winter white sounds luscious - I am so scared to make white.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful coat, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cennetta, I'm so glad to have finished.

      Delete
  7. Your coat turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for suggesting the red lining!

      Delete
  8. It's just beautiful Faye! I love the red of the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made another wonderful coat Faye. I am sure it'll get lots of wear. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and happy New Year to you too L. I've been missing seeing you.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Faye! This is gorgeous. 19 days was worth it.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another tailored winner, Faye! I live in the tundra and make a coat every few years. You live in the South and whip these babies out every year! Go, Faye! They are fun to make, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bunny. I was in Upstate NY back in early October and the mornings were REALLY cold. I really love the process!

      Delete
  12. Your coat looks beautiful, Faye! Please post pics of you wearing it soon...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aisha. Our temps are in the high 70's right now so it will be a little while before I wear it.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful Faye..
    19 days.. that is fantastic..[I bet it would take me 2-3 months.lol]
    Love the pockets and the red inside.. SO pretty.
    Happy New Year and Happy Sewing 2017

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy. It's taken me 2 to 3 months to complete several other of my coats as well. The pockets and red lining are what I like best too.

      Delete
  14. Oh yay - congratulations on finishing another fab coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Tomasa. How's your renovations coming along?

      Delete
  15. It was worth the journey, Faye. A gorgeous coat. And with your winter still having months to go, you are going to enjoy wearing it. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was worth the journey Sarah. I'm sure I will be grabbing this one as I go out the door for sure!

      Delete
  16. That's a beautiful coat! I would love it if I finished anything in 19 days haha! I am definitely a slow sewer! Have a blessed new year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,Lisa I am the slow one. My expectations to finish are always high - maybe too high! Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Ms Faye!! This is really nice! You have motivated me to make my coat!! However we have been getting some satisfactory weather! I better get down on it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that satisfactory weather can fool us cause the cold weather is still lurking down the street (lol). I know your coat will be PERFECT! Loved you cape, about to start a full length cape for my Mother. Going to pick the lining today!

      Delete
  18. Making a coat is a time consuming project, however, the reward is sooo worth it. Beautiful coat and the color of the lining is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think I would have figured out by now that coat making is a time consuming project. Yes it's worth it and I love this coat too. The red lining makes it all!

      Delete
  19. This is a very lovely coat! I know I get discouraged sometimes because sewing one garmennt takes so much time. It is worth it! I always love a red coat and think this pattern would look great in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Brenda! I often get frustrated when a garment takes too much time, but like you said it's all worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...