June 11, 2016

SHOULDER EXPOSE...

...last weekend I decided I'd make my first summer garment.  That's right, my first.  My life had been topsy-turvy since the end of March - so as you could see there was NO Sewing going on here at all.  So, a quick trip to Joann's with my sewing friends resulted in...

a cut of polyester voile following me home begging to become one of summer's hottest trends - the off shoulder top (not that it's new - it has just cycled itself back around again).  The Fabric:  a muted lavender/green/gold floral print that reminded me of  summer vineyards sprinkled with tiny little sparkly sequins that resemble the fresh morning dew.  
How's that for a run on sentence of a fabric description?
  
I stepped out of the box a little with this one - sparkly little sequins never show up in my closet, and neither do off shoulder tops.  But with so many of them popping up all over the internet sewing arena Sheri, Erica, Candice Melanie, Andrea, Brittany; and then Margo issued her off shouldered challenge - do you dare Linda Faye?, Yes I do!, I just had to have one in some form or fashion.  There are a oodles of pattern choices out there one could choose from, but since I loved what Margo did with McCall's 6558 - and because was already in stash - and so darned cute, it's the one I opted for...

McCall's 6558

Playing around with my Cannon Rebel which I'm finally determined to learn how to use.  Such a learning challenge!  LOVE MY NEW TOP!  Picture shows my house badly in need of a pressure washing bath - mmmm maybe later this summer.



The colors of my new top matched a pair of pants made several summers ago exactly.  Cell phone picture at work is sometimes the best that I can do.

RATING:  Very easy make; beginner friendly.
                  Pattern offers several style variations.

I think this top will get lots of wear this summer, and I will make it again.  It's so nice to finally be sewing again, so now on to the next project. 

I am so very nosey! I'd like all my readers to tell me what's on their sewing agendas this weekend???  Be the first to spill the beans...

 

41 comments:

  1. Lovely top and it is great for every summer. On my agenda for the weekend is to sew another cowl neck blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia! Is the blouse one of your TNT patterns? Can't wait to see!

      Delete
  2. I have this pattern. I've made it before so that means it's already cut.... You've inspired me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great pattern Serenity and such an easy make! Since yours is already cut you'll have almost INSTANT GRATIFICATION! Win, win! Be Sure to post, can't wait to see your version!

      Delete
  3. This top looks so cute on you! And you picked the perfect fabric for it. Funny how fashions always come back! As for my weekend sewing, I am working on a very clean and simple white skirt for summer. I might enter it into the PatternReview skirt contest if I finish on time...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! I love how fashion recycles itself. Hope you finish your skirt and I hope you WIN!

      Delete
  4. Great job on the top and happy summer sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Char!, and thanks for looking in!

      Delete
  5. Great job on the top and happy summer sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Char! I do plan on having summer sewing fun!

      Delete
  6. Love your top Faye. I may have to step out of the box and make one too :)
    I am working on skirts for my daughter and pj shorts for my grandson.
    Have a great sewing weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! I know you'll enjoy it if you make it. I know your daughter and grandson will enjoy your makes!

      Delete
  7. I love that's yours is on the shoulder work appropriate. You've made me take another look at this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Stephanie, I thought the top would work for work and it did, and I am so glad it did! Yes, take another look at this pattern.

      Delete
  8. Faye - this is so cute on you! I like how you wore it a lot in the second picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn, I'm in love with this top.

      Delete
  9. Cute cute Faye!!!This looks great on you! My sewing plans... I made a dress for a friend and I am starting my first pair of Gingers....I am so nervous to make them...I really want them to work for me!! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration Margo! I wish you all success with the Gingers. I do understand the apprehension, but at least you are on the way so that's half the battle.

      Delete
  10. Nice to see you sewing again Faye. Lovely top and beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Venita! It's feels good to be back at it.

      Delete
  11. That top looks so cute on you. ... love it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. That top looks so cute on you. ... love it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. MS. Faye this is sooo Cute! This pattern is actually in my rotation and I've had it for a while! Never had a chance to use it, but I have the fabric picked out. Maybe I'll do another all nighter! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol. I know you will love this top when you make it. Oh yes, I remember all nighters, I've pulled some of those - they hurt me. Carol I looked for your blog at g-cast.net and could not find it. Did I spell it incorrectly?

      Delete
  14. Love your off the shoulder top! I want to get on this trend, too. This past weekend, however, I sewed a wiggle dress -- McCall's M5971. Had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ebi! I love this top! Wow, didn't you just move? - and you still got some sewing in - congrats to you, how productive! Loved your scopes last weekend and I'm now following you on Bloglovin.

      Delete
  15. That's a really cute top, and I love the fabric! We have kids coming to visit this weekend and next (including wedding dress shopping for another daughter), but I do have a couple of windows worth of drapes to replace after the fire, and I want a couple of new summer dresses; maybe I'll sneak one in before the big dress shopping day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjie! Sounds like you are going to be real busy!

      Delete
  16. Cute top. I like that it can be worn either on or off the shoulders.

    My sewing plans? I'm working on dresses as usual this time of year. Currently a "red, white and blue" dress except the red is mostly not very red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, white and blue sounds like a wonderful plan for summer!

      Delete
  17. Such a cute summery top Faye,I am happy to see that you are sewing again.I just finally retired and am looking forward to sewing a few summer dresses and tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your retirement Gloria now you can sew on and sew on. Enjoy!

      Delete
  18. You are gorgeous, my dear. Guess what? I'm joining the "off the shoulder club." Lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are gorgeous, my dear. Guess what? I'm joining the "off the shoulder club." Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cennetta! Yes, come on along, can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous is the word! The pants are pretty good too. Great outfit. I just washed a piece of fabric for my next off the shoulder top. They are so much fun. But, this weekend I am finishing up two knit tops and a pair of white pants. The garden needs weeding though and it supposed to be gorgeous so I'll put in at least some time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Nancy! I love the top and the pants (that are about 2 or 3 years old) too. Happy gardening/sewing!

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute, Faye! I must finally get to this pattern, and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a gorgeous looking top, Faye! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...