September 7, 2013

...Debbie Cook (stitchesandseams) posted a set questions on her blog today.  I found them interesting, so of course I participated.  Lynne (yousew,girl) did too and also posted them on her blog - so I'm following their lead here:


1. Do you cut with your fabric RS out or WS out? 
I cut my fabrics WS out, unless cutting on single layers of fabric as directed by the pattern layout and cutting instructions.  OR unless cutting plaids or stripes which I always cut RS out so I can see clearly how to match up.  And as Lynne said, laying out WS out also helps facilitate marking the pattern especially if I'm thread tracing; and it helps identify WS from RS because on some fabrics it's hard to tell.

2. How do you make your pattern markings?
I admit even though snipping into the seam allowance is a quick method of marking I DO NOT LIKE DOING SO.  I always felt that snipping compromised my seam allowance.  I will mark some fabrics via tracing paper/smooth tracing wheel.  I stopped using the serrated wheel because it tears my patterns.  I quite often mark with a highly identifiable contrasting thread sort of tailor's tack.  I usually use RED heavy duty thread, unless my fabric is red (them I'll use white) - makes it real easy to find my markings.   I thread mark right after I finish cutting so then that way it's done and over and I'm ready to move on into construction when ever I'm ready.  I lay out the pattern, cut and mark in one session.  I also use colorful adhesive stickers to mark dots and squares. I know it's frowned upon, but I have been known to use a #2 pencil to mark on occasion.

3. Do you follow the cutting layout in patterns?
Pretty much so, but there are times that I think the layout is a stupid waste of fabric and so I change it to save fabric.

4. Are you obsessed with re-folding your pattern tissue on or very close to the original fold lines?
Are you kidding???  That never works for me.  It seems that the tissue paper grows once you unfold and use it.  It never ever fits back into the envelope the same as it originally came out.  I fold neatly, and if it won't fit, I use the ziplock bag storage method.  I am a stickler for folding and replacing as soon as I am finished with my garments.  I have on occasion lost important pattern pieces - that irritates me to no end.  So I think replacing immediately after finishing a garment has become a good habit for me.

5. I thought of one more ... Do you make all the markings? 
Yep, I transfer all markings.  There are times that I miss one and have to go back to the pattern piece to find where it goes.  I do sometimes have a problem distinguishing between my markings for large dots, small dots, squares or triangles.  What the heck, once I transfer with tailors tacks they are all the same.
Confession:  Go ahead and talk about me (there's no shame in my game) I still actually cut out my notches - the single ones and the double ones.  I got upset when they stopped extending them outside the cutting line, so I just make my own.

I've been in the sewing room the bulk of the day, and something marvelous is unfolding.  Stay tuned...

38 comments:

  1. Cutting around your notches ... oh Faye! hahahaha ...

    I'm much too impatient for that. Most of my sewing methods are focused on how to get it done in the fastest way possible without sacrificing a quality finished garment.

    Thanks for playing along with the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, didn't I say "there's no shame in my game"? (LOL)It only takes a second to cut one of them out. I thought your questions were very interesting!

      Delete
  2. Faye, you are not alone! I cut out the notches too ! I feel like such a renegade, but I like them, it helps me, it's my choice, and I won't stop. I thread mark and use chalk. Whatever works is my motto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippie!!! there's more of use out there. I feel sort of renegadish myself. It's something that I was taught from the very beginning and it STUCK with me. Oh, yeah I forgot about chalk - but I don't use it very often because it disappears on me.

      Delete
  3. I cut around my notches too, and I use shears, not a rotary cutter:) I trace my patterns (sometimes so I can preserve the different sizes, but it is just visually easier for me to draw my alterations on the white paper, and I don't have to do much taping this way). I usually cut with the wrong side out because it seems easier to make my markings that way. For that I use chalk, but I need to try the thread method. I DON'T use the original fold lines. I just lay the pattern pieces on top of each other and fold them neatly to fit back in the envelope. If it gets too bulky, I use the ziploc method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to start a new "NOTCH CUTTERS CLUB". I'll bet there a lot of us out there who cut notches Angelia. Hey I'm a tracer to preserve different sizes girl too! Thread marking stays put for me, I tend to loose my chalk markings. You are a girl after my own heart!

      Delete
  4. Oh Dear! I don't cut out notches. I just clip all the markings. There are times that doesn't work very well for me I admit. I guess I won't make it into the notchers' club. will I? I do use tailor's tacks on occasion when I'm feeling virtuous though!Heck, I don't even pin. I use weights for everything. I have arthritis in my fingers and pins are hard for me.Ok, that's enough confession for one night. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your confessions Diana. I'll have to create another type of club for you to join. (lol)

      Delete
  5. So interesting to read your answers. I often have trouble with transferring markings. I've tried various chalks and marking tools bit some of them don't wash off! I have spent a lot of time stain removing these chalks. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so glad to read this! I cut WS out, too. But mostly, I was gratified to see someone else who took umbrage at the pattern companies no longer making the darts go outward. I draw mine into the tissue, then cut around them. I agree with you in never cutting into the seam allowance, because I think it weakens the structure of the garment. And I always run scotch tape over my markings before I trace them the first time - and always use a smooth wheel - so I don't destroy my pattern. (Plus, the old eyes just aren't what they used to be, and the dotted markings don't show up well enough.) Oh, and I've taken up tracing my patterns, so I can make them in different sizes - gotta think of my daughters - and I always re-fold on the lines. Just a little OCD, right?

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...