October 9, 2007

Doesn't Take Much to Get Me Excited

I finally got around to asking a friend to help me take my measurements accurately. I had been planning on doing this for a while, but just kept putting it off. I called her before I left work today and although she was baking a wedding cake and grooms cake for this coming Saturday, she said that she had time for me to stop by...and so I did. She even let me use two of her sewing books (like I needed another one), but I do like one of them - Singer 101 Sewing Secrets.

I have been studying Nancy Zieman's Fitting Finesse which is easy to understand and makes a lot of sense to me.



I am particularily interested in learning to fit pants properly. The problem I currently have is that if I get the pants to fit in the waist, the hips are way to large and the crouch sags, and neither is very comfortable or attractive. According to this book the solution is to pick my pattern size according to my hip size (size 16) then alter the pattern to fit my waist (size 18) adding the suggested ease. I had taken all of the measurements that I could comfortably take by myself, but of course needed help with others. So I took the book with me when I stopped by my friend's house this afternoon and she took all of the measurements for me as suggested by Nancy's book.

I am hoping that I am smart enough to follow the information in the book and finally come up with a TNT pants pattern or patterns that will help me MAKE PANTS THAT REALLY FIT!!! Now I can already see where my sagging crouch problem comes from. My crouch measurement is close to 4 inches shorter than the pattern so to fix that would really help. Of course I will be making a muslin before I cut my fashion fabric and will post results when it is done.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see!!! Another good book is Pants for real people! I just made my first "real" pair and can't wait to make some that are even more structured! LOL

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...