Well, today I finished my first garment since July. Seems like it took me forever to complete it. I showed my muslin of the jacket in my last post. I'm glad that I worked the muslin up because by doing so it let me know exactly what changes had to be made to the pattern. I did the complete jacket in the muslin excluding interfacing, hems and buttonsholes. Then I made sure that I marked the changes that needed to be made on the pattern since I don't think I'll be using the muslin as a pattern. This process made it seem as though I had made two jackets - which in actuality- I guess I did.
The faux pockets on this jacket are compliments of Sheila who pointed me to a Craft Stylish tutorial. Sheila that tutorial really fit the bill! It was easy to understand and follow because it actually repeats the instructions - I guess to make sure you get it. I had made pocket flaps before but never with this much success. I think they look much better than the patch pockets the pattern called for.
This was not a hurry up project - I took it nice and slow. Have you ever worked on a garment until you were almost sick of it? Well, that's what almost happened with this project. But determination won out, and I was able to finish it. The jackets fits very nicely after all, and I am quite pleased with my results. The matching pants to this jacket were made way back in June as this was supposed to be a summer suit. But school got in my way and I had to put all things sewing on the back burner. I didn't want to wait until next summer to finish this suit because I was afraid that if I did, it would become a UFO. With the nice weather we are still having here I should be able to get a couple of wearings out of it before I retire it for the fall/winter seasons.
Originally I had planned on making this same jacket in Navy blue to go with the other pair of pants made back in June. I got tired of the gray jacket, so now I'm not sure if I will or not. I'll make a decision on that tomorrow. I really need to get started on my Channel jacket soon.
Lastly, I did manage to get an "A" in both of my classes - PRAISE GOD! My last and final class starts on Tuesday, but should leave me with plenty of sewing time - I hope! I'll be completely finished with school on December 16th....