2013 ESSENTIAL TOPS SEW-A-LONG FINISHED PROJECTS

March 16, 2011

I WON'T BE WEARING THIS DRESS...

...anytime soon that is - because we've started having 55 degree mornings.  But I went ahead put the finishing touches on Butterick 5523 now, because of my "FINISH WHAT YOU START" sewing rule.  It will keep me nice and toasty next winter.  I really like the dress too; the umpire empire waist plays to the little girl that's still in me.  And I can visualize it being worn with tights and pumps.

The dress went together really quickly.  I did remember to read the pattern reviews on the pattern this time which really helped, so I knew that I had to raise the neckline of the dress before I cut it out.  I made it from a charcoal gray sweater knit that I purchased at my Mom's New York Wal-mart on last summer's visit.  Oh how I do miss being able to find an occasional nice piece of mystery fabric at my local Wal-mart stores.  None of the three in my county have fabric departments any more (boo-hoo)!  I did pre-wash the fabric so I shouldn't have any shrinkage problem with it next winter.

I also eliminated the pleating and tab from the back of the dress.  I thought both would just accentuate the height of my already high derriere.  Don't need that - do I?  So without further adoo here are pictures of my dress.
What do you know - I've already got a  jump on Fall/Winter sewing (lol). 


 Don't miss entering the final week of my blog anniversary give-a-way.  The fourth week prize was also donated by

COOPER
Sewing Machines
"The UK's largest sewing machine retailer and distributor"
  • not one,
  • not two,
  • but Three (3) Janome Snap On Sewing Machine Feet. 
GATHERING FOOT
ROLLER FOOT
CONCEALED /INVISIBLE ZIPPER FOOT
To enter this give-a-way:
  • just let me know you are interested by commenting ON THIS POST.  
  • The 4th Week prize winner will be announced this Saturday, (3/19).


Click here to view Cooper's website. Or link from Sewing Machine Discount from my sidebar.

15 comments:

  1. Another great dress! (Although, I think you meant empire waist and not umpire waist. Not that I don't think umpires are fashionable!) (Also. not need to enter me in the giveaway.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the weather ever cools down here I plan to make this same dress for winter. I feel like I want a purple one for some reason. It would look great with boots, too. I like your rose signature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I new sewing video blog you may like.
    http://dressmakernewportbeach.com/episode-1-of-couture/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You aren't behind this winter, you are ahead for next winter! :-)

    I'd be really interested in having the gathering foot, so count me in the give-away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did such a nice job with the dress! You'll have something great to look forward to next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress!! I've wanted to make a sweater dress this past winter, too, but couldn't find a pattern... I totally missed this one. I'll have to go out and find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress and could use that dress today... its nippy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress and a popular pattern. I've seen quite a few versions made recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. its great that you finished it, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Faye this is a really, really cute dress! I love, love, love that dark charcoal color!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the neck and cut of this dress. Girl, I know what you mean about the Walmarts, I was so mad when they started that. I am so like you, I always finish a project before I start another one. Just a pet pieve (sp?) of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just for reference, you mention Cooper sewing machines.. you do know this company has been featured as a Rogue Trader on BBC TV... be very cautious

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

BOOKS ACQUIRED

  • Pants Sewing Guide
  • Denim Revolution
  • Pants for Real People
  • Jackets for Real Peopls
  • Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring - Palmer & Pletsch - Gifted
  • The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook
  • Ribbon Crafts
  • Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
  • Successful Serging
  • Making Trousers for Men and Women
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Singer - Perfect Plus
  • Cool Couture
  • Couture, The Fine Art of Sewing
  • Singer Sewing Reference Library - Tailoring - GIFTED
  • The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns - Creative Publishing International
  • Fit for Real People
  • DK-The Complete Book of Sewing