June 29, 2014

BUSY WORK LIFE...

...equals no sewing AT ALL.  I always feel the need to explain blog absences, but I certainly don't want to bore you with details.  But since my last post my work-life just hit full speed.  Whenever that happens, blogging/sewing has to simmer in a back burner position.   A girl's got to do what a girl has to do.

I did manage to make a Hancock run yesterday because, of course, there were 2 more Vogue and 1 McCall's patterns I'd convinced myself I had to have.  And as we all know gotta get them while the sale is in progress.
McCall's 6925, view D
I avoided this cute little number when it first hit the shelf.  Why?, you may ask.  I ashamedly admit that as much as I liked this easy, breezy top alas it had a dreaded collar band.  But the more I thought about it, the more I really wanted it, so the pattern now resides at my house.  After a discussion with myself about the collar band I decided that I needed to make time for a good old fashioned practice session.

I dug out some practice fabric and cut some collar and neck bands from the pattern.
#1 top #2 middle #3 bottom
Results: The band of #1 looks better than the band of #2 & 3.  From the looks of things I think I need to go back to the drawing board.  I've got to be able to get the band equally proportioned on both sides...

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/29/2014

    Hi Faye. I certainly know what you mean. It's been something nearly every w'end. When I sew, it's on the w'ends (like today). Practicing is sewing...I need to do some of that myself! Always enjoy your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn Google monster is active today.

    Sometimes things come up and you have to prioritize. I'm always happen when you post whenever you can.

    I loathe collar bands too. Peter of MPB has a tutorial that I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I need one more practice session with this thing.

      Delete
  3. when I first seen the polka dots I knew it was going to be fabulous! can't wait to see it , I love pattern sales too! lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The polka dot fabric is a cotton that I used for practice.

      Delete
  4. Hi Faye . have you tried drawing in the seam allowances of both sides of the band before sewing? I find that's what I have to do to get both sides even. Hope your workload lightens up so you can see again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried drawing it yet, but had thought about doing it. Thanks for the hint.

      Delete
  5. Yes, life does happen, and just go with the flow. Isn't it kind of funny how we always have to add one or two patterns to our stash when the show up on sale. I have officially put myself on strike from buying any more patterns. Can't wait to see your finished blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thing I'm going to schedule at least one more collar/band practice session before I even start on this top. I'm determined to get this thing right.

      Delete
  6. Here is another collar stand tutorial. Her pictures and explanations are clear. I'm motivated to try it myself.

    http://foursquarewalls.blogspot.com/2013/09/sewing-collar-different-order.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tutorial reference L. I did watch it, and will use it in my next practice session.

      Delete
  7. Faye, I am sure if you take it one step at a time, you will manage the collar stand well. Good idea to practice on scraps first, I agree.

    It is a pretty top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Sarah!

      Delete
  8. Life is what happens while we make other plans. I'm sure your blog absences are related to that, and hope you're not too worn down by those occurrences. This is a cute top, and I'm looking forward to seeing your completed project (which I know will be adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing another practice collar tonight following the link Lynne suggested above.

      Delete
  9. One goal I would like to include is to make time each week for practice. I focus far too much on production, not perfection. You will get those collar stands!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...