April 16, 2015

WORK WEAR THURSDAY...

... I finally finished a project last night - boy what a hiatus.  I think I broke my record for the most time lapsed between sewing projects.
Simplicity 1280  
I decided to go sleeveless - after all it's officially Spring; and pretty soon it'll be so hot that I won't need or want arm covering.  This is a nice jersey knit that I purchased during my first trip to Fine Fabrics last Spring - love me some jersey knit especially for tops.

An easy make - just what I needed.  This won't be one of my favorites but it will be worn.  I was up in the air trying to decide whether I wanted to use the elasticized hemline but finally opted to go with it.

Surplice tops/bodices - I'm always attracted to them but often not totally happy with the results.  This top is not as bad as others I've made far as gaping is concerned.  What is it about me and surplice tops/bodices?  I must have removed 2 inches of the part that wraps over to meet at the side seam to make it fit without gaping, and then stitched it down to make it remain closed to my liking.  Well one Spring knit top down and countless others to go... 

27 comments:

  1. Great top and fit. That pattern is on my to sew list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you ended your hiatus. I really like the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice. Wrap tops are really making a comeback-like wrap dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! thatclean cutting table got those mojo juices going! lol! great top!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah , well done it looks good , a quick knit fix ( oo try saying that a few times) is great to mend that sewing void

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah , well done it looks good , a quick knit fix ( oo try saying that a few times) is great to mend that sewing void

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it. Could you put a snap at the wrap to help with keeping it in place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A snap just might do the trick Tasha. I never thought of that!

      Delete
  8. Welcome back and what a cute top! You have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are over the hump...cute top! I have that pattern in my to-do pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your new top Patty!

      Delete
  10. This top really looks nice with the pants. It will be versatile for casual dressy and casual depending in bottom garment. The fabric is gorgeous! Love this top!
    Cecil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecil. Trying to get a new project started tonight!

      Delete
  11. What a great top! It's nice that you're sewing again. We get so busy, don't we? I've been cutting out endless squares for a denim quilt for our camper and I've also been teaching myself how to crochet (with lots of Youtube videos) so I can make a granny square afghan. That hasn't left much time for sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much! At least you have still been being creative!

      Delete
  12. I think it looks great! I'm in a major slump myself. Just not motivated to sew anything, although I've got a mostly finished outfit waiting on the dressform but I'm just not feeling any love for it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you feel Debbie. Hope your motivation returns real soon!

      Delete
  13. I cut two dresses last weekend (from a 5 yard piece of pink knit). Now to assemble them this weekend. Or maybe Monday, when it's supposed to be raining. After all, this is shaping up to be the warmest weekend we've had since October, and I need the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great top. Love the whole outfit. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great Faye, and so do you.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...