October 26, 2015

IT'S TAKEN A VILLAGE....

...God bless the child who chooses an uneven plaid for coat making!

When I first posted my fabric selection for "The Amazing Coat Sew-along" one of my highly skilled SEWING MUSES, Bunny commented "Ooo, uneven plaids - those always scare me...".  I immediately thought "Oh, snap!, I'm in trouble now!  If they scare her, then I should be terrified!  Maybe I should put this fabric back in the stash and choose a solid.  But them she added, "but I know you can pull it off Ok, if she thinks I can - then maybe I can!  

Another SEWING MUSE - Rachelle offered this advice, "when sewing plaids - it's alright to be off a fraction of an inch, but no more than 1/8th inch, BUT the sleeves of your coat ABSOLUTELY MUST match the front of the coat - ABSOLUTELY!  Alrighty them!  The information about being off no more than 1/8th of an inch actually helped me sleep better - for real!   The sleeves went in without a hitch which was a miracle seeing that I borrowed the two piece pattern from a Vogue pattern.  There are no puckers AND they absolutely match the front of my coat!!!!


It has taken a village to get me this far in the process.  I wanted to give a shout out to my Sewing Muses (my village) who advise and cheer me on with confidence.  Hopefully this will be the last time you are forced see the inner workings of the coat.  I plan having the job completed before the end of the weekend...

12 comments:

  1. I, too, would be frightened by working with an uneven plaid, but yOu are truly working it. Great job so far, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoooooooo rock n roll .. I am loving the total look , huge well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are rockin' your skills, woman! Those sleeves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good...can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared of working with an even or uneven plaid! I've been admiring your progress and can't wait to see the finish! Oh and that sleeve matching? Gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the big reveal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It's looking great!
    Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job! I want to make a coat someday .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful job! I want to make a coat someday .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is looking good! I have yet to make a coat, but on my list. Maybe this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...