October 5, 2015

#SEWING LIFE...

...I mentioned that my gravity fed steam iron went out last weekend; also mentioned that I had a backup.  Can you imagine my shock when the backup iron started releasing steam and just wouldn't quit!  What a mess!, and a sewing setback!  Because I press as I go people; I didn't even feel like working on my coat after this happened.  Of course, I have several regular irons, but, it's just not the same - I'm spoiled rotten by the weight and amount of heat/steam that my gravity fed iron produces.  But, thank God for BBA (bounce back ability).  A friend is picking up another iron for me in Atlanta today and I should have it tomorrow afternoon, so on with the show.

I finally had some time to work on fine tuning my muslin for the Amazing Coat Sew-along and I am very pleased with the results so far.
Simplicity 2311view B - short coat
  • I've marked the lapel/collar roll lines; these markings will be transferred to my actual pattern.
  • Inserted a 2-piece sleeves borrowed from Michael Kors' Vogue 2873 peacoat pattern that fit really good with only minor adjustments.  Thank you Michael Kors! This is the second time that I've morphed a coat with his 2-piece sleeve pattern; I once put it into in Indie Pattern jacket project too.  I'm also contemplating adding the over-sized cuff  from the Vogue pattern as an alternative design feature, - mmmmm just might be an interesting detail.
  • The muslin might be just a tad too large - I'm debating if I need to increase the side seams or leave it as is since I'm actually planning to wear the coat wrapped.  If I decide to take it in that will be an easy remedy.
  • Often times I'll use the actual muslin to underline my coat.  Since my wool fashion fabric is not that heavy I might underline.
Now to work on matching this plaid up.

With patience and no interruptions all should go well.  I'll be cutting later this afternoon...


12 comments:

  1. That's a great looking muslin, good luck with the cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've gotten pretty far already! It's looking pretty good too! Good Luck Ms. Faye because that's some great looking fabric and I know your coat is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, uneven plaids - those always scare me but I know you can pull it off. Following the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching Bunny, I'll holler if I need help so don't be too far away.

      Delete
  4. I do like the lines of that coat. I think it will be wonderful in your plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some progress I see! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tomasa and it feels good to finally get this thing started.

      Delete
  6. You are really making good progress.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...