March 26, 2016

WALKING IN HER DREAM...

...to quote the famous motivational speaker Les Brown,
"In order to live your dream, you have to WAKE UP!  Most people are sleep-walking through life, and never become aware of why they are here and what they are supposed to do.  WAKE UP to your dream!" 

Adrienne M. Nixon LLC has done just that -  she has realized her purpose, she's doing what she loves  and is now daily walking in her dream.   


What things excite and inspire you in your sewing and the designs that you create?
ADRIENNE:  I am inspired by so many different things. I'll have to be honest and say that inspiration often comes from my shoes FIRST. Walking over to my shoe wall, I'll pick a shoe that I want to wear THEN go find fabric, THEN I decide what I want it to become lol.


I’ve read about your fabric shopping excursions with your Mother so I know that she sews.  Did she teach you to sew? what was your learning process?
ADRIENNE:  My mom tried to teach me to sew when I was about 8 or 9 years old. She bought me this tiny purple "toy" Singer and a bunny pillow pattern lol. I cut those things out and TRIED to sew them. They came out in a circle shape and I didn't try to sew them again. I wonder what ever happened to that little purple sewing machine?  

My mom purchased a sewing machine for me for Christmas when I was in my 20's. At the time I was heavy into scrap booking so I would sew on my layouts. Little did I know I was learning to control the machine. A few years later I used that same machine to make some pillows for my sofa (because I wanted a new sofa and couldn't afford to buy one lol). I figured if I could make pillows I could make pants, and I did just that. They didn't fit but they were almost perfect. I signed up for a sewing class at my local Hancock and the rest is history. I think I made a lime green linen tunic in that class. The rest I learned from trial and error and the internet/books. 

What are your favorite items to sew for yourself?
 ADRIENNE:  I LOVE sewing dresses and skirts for myself. Every now and then I'll make pants or jackets but skirts and dresses are my thing. 



And For Clients?
ADRIENNE:  I really love sewing all things for my clients, because they are all shaped so differently I learn something with each garment that I sew.

What garment or project has presented the biggest challenge to you?
 ADRIENNE:  My biggest challenge I think was working on the dance girl uniforms for AAMU (Alabama A&M University). It was more time consuming than a challenge. I was working with sequin and there is a whole lot of prep work that goes into that.


What garment(s) to date would you call your masterpiece?
ADRIENNE:  Hmmm I don't know if I have a PERSONAL masterpiece. I think my FAVORITE project was the silver dance uniforms for Alabama A&M University lol.


What are your favorite fabric sources?
ADRIENNE:   I got that fabric from Spandex House in New York. It is my FAVORITE place for spandex and that type of sequin. I have a great working relationship with them so I can call and tell them what I'm looking for and they will send me swatches. 

Where in the world were you able to find enough of the beautiful fabric you used to dress ALL THOSE Alabama A&M Dancing Divas? What fabric did you use for that project?

ADRIENNE:  For that project I used metallic spandex and a stretch sequin. Here is a link to that blog post:http://www.adriennemnixon.com/sewing-and-fashion/alabama-am-university-dancin-divas-magic-city-classic-2015/

Do you ever shop for fabric online?
ADRIENNE:  Sometimes. If I do I LOVE Moodfabrics.com and fabricmartfabrics.com

Are there any sewing techniques that you have not mastered yet, but plan to work on?
 ADRIENNE:  I have NOT mastered welt pockets. I'm TERRIFIED of them. Thankfully I haven't had a client that wanted them lol. There is something about cutting a HOLE in a perfectly good piece of fabric that just terrifies me.

Can you tell us a little about the equipment (sewing arsenal - machines, sergers, etc.) you use?
 ADRIENNE:  What machinery do you use to create your beautiful custom garments? I have one industrial machine and a couple of Singers. I have a blind hem machine that I purchased last year and I STILL haven't used it. I promised my mom I would learn to use it before summer lol.

 
If you could only have five (5) patterns, which five would that be and why?
ADRIENNE:  I don't have five but I DO have two lol. Butterick 6203: I HAVE MADE THIS DRESS 3 times and I LOVE It. It's an instant classic and so feminine. New Look 6723. I have about 8 of these dresses. They are so versatile.

BUTTERICK 6203
 It has been so exciting reading your blog over the years.  We have actually seen your children grow up!  But watching you start and grow your business has been very interesting.  Do you have any tips and/or advice for those of us who aspire to have sewing related businesses but may feel a little intimidated by the process?

 ADRIENNE:  Take your time and learn. If you have someone you can go to and ask questions, ask them and most importantly learn from your mistakes. 



Where do you see yourself and your business in the next 5 years?
ADRIENNE:   Ahhhh I have big plans and HUGE goals. I can't talk about them JUST yet, just know that God has truly given me a God size vision :)

We can watch Adrienne as she continues to grow her business and wow us with the beautiful garments she makes at Adrienne M. Nixon, LLC, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest...



17 comments:

  1. I have followed Adrienne off and on for at least 8 years now--I remember her photo dump posts! It is great that she is making a living from her sewing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watching Adrienne and you both for about that long. She's leading an interesting life!

      Delete
  2. Faye and Adrienne, THANK YOU for this inspiring interview! God Bless you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet Dara so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fantastic interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia. You are always such a wonderful supporter of my blog.

      Delete
  5. How amazing that Adrienne is making a living out of her passion for sewing! Kudos to her. This interview series is wonderful. Another inspirational blogger to follow - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Faye, this is another great interview! Adrienne is definitely an inspiration to all of us in the sewing community!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...BTW, thanks for spreading the "Blog Love"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Myra, I love spreading Blog Love.

      Delete
  8. <3 Adrienne <3 Another great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone and thank you so much for including me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading your blog for so very long - it would have been hard to leave you out!

      Delete
  10. Very inspiring. Love the dress collage.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...