October 21, 2016

#THE SEWING GOURMET...

...it's been a while since THE SEWING GOURMET made an appearance.  She's back with a real goody this time.  I thought I'd share my 14 Layer Chocolate Cake
The beginning process

What the cake look like after placing it in the teacher's lounge before 8:00a.m. this morning.  Needless to say, it was all gone by noon (and I was glad - I love it when people enjoy my food).  I'm proud to say that I only had one normal sized slice myself.  Got to make sure I keep this girlish figure (hahaha)!  This was my second time making this sweet southern delicacy - it is a real labor of love I'll tell you that!  Just in case you'd ever like to give it a try one day yourself here's the calorie loaded recipe.  




14 LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 stick butter
1 c. oil
6 eggs
3 c. self rising flour
2 T. vanilla
1 c. milk
2 c. sugar
Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together.  Grease skillets (flat thin skillets) and pour 3 tablespoons batter into cast iron skillet.  Bake three (3) minutes only!!!, baking longer will cause the layers to burn.

ICING 
6 heaping T cocoa
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. karo syrup
2 ½ c. sugar
1 ½ stick butter
Bring to a slow boil and continue to stir until mixture reaches a thick consistency.
Allow cake layers to cool, then ice.  Serve, enjoy, and then run around the block 3 times…


7 comments:

  1. looks very similar to a Smith Island cake- Md eastern shore specialty. There's a video on youtube to check out that one if you're curious.
    Lucky co-workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll check it out Barbara!

      Delete
  2. Goodness! It looks delightfully yummy 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/23/2016

    Yum - what does 1 stick of butter weigh? We buy ours in 250gm, 500gm sizes but i can convert to oz/pounds. Thank you - Sam the Aussie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is seriously simple and seriously wicked Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks intriguing and delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my , this looks fantastic.. Gotta try it.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...