February 6, 2017

WHAT'S TRENDING FOR ME - PART 2...

...what attracts me to so many Independent patterns (besides the fact that so many of them are really cute) are particular details.
With the Toaster Sweater 2 the details that interested me most were the funnel neckline and the mitered side splits.   I've learned that I'm quite fond of the fit and look of a funnel neckline.  Additionally, I wanted to see just how they went about forming the mitered side splits.  Since I couldn't quite make up my mind on just what fabric to use for the sweater, I opted to make the pattern as a muslin first.  I know lots of people dislike taking the time to make muslins, but I actually make a lot of them.  That way if I don't like the style or the fit at least I haven't messed up the good stuff, and it gives me a chance to test drive a "new to me" pattern.  Besides, sometimes I just WANT TO SEW SOMETHING - right now!

I used this novelty print medium weight knit for the trial run.

I added 2 inches to the length of the pattern, but I will not make this length adjustment when I make it again. (Mmmmm this picture indicates that my inspiration board has gotten out of hand again.  Got to do some about that.)

  At first I thought it would be hard to do, but the four mitered corners turned out perfect.   I learned something new, so this might be a technique I could incorporate into other garments.
 What Independent patterns have you purchased or have an interest in????

17 comments:

  1. Nice muslin Ms. Faye! Over the last few years I've actually gained interest in independent patterns and have quite a few on my sewing table. (And quite a few I've actually sewn already). What I found was the independent patterns offer us a bit more style options then the big four...and for me that's perfect! Who doesn't like options?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unique details and style options are what I like too Myra. What has been your favorite Indie pattern thus far?

      Delete
  2. This is very nice. A weawable muslin. I have not swen any indie patterns but I am excited to try one. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie I loved the Pauline Alice Ninot Jacket, Style Arc Debra Zebra knit top, The Sammy Cami by Iconic Patterns, and a recent favorite the Silvia Coatigan by Schnittchen that I made in December. Each pattern had one or two little details that I had never tried before that peaked my interest and I just had to find out more about it - prompting me to buy the pattern. But, I am so in love with the vintage patterns I see you make. I know I've mentioned that more than once (lol).

      Delete
  3. Very nice muslin. I love mitered corners. They just look crisper IMO. Looking forward to the "real" top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still trying to make a fabric decision Bunny.

      Delete
  4. Details are what makes patterns fun! You should be pretty pleased with this trial run, and your mitered corners are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the little details Marjie. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. This is definitely a wearable muslin. I love the print of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muslins are time consuming but never a waste of time. They have certainly saved me from creating wadders out of good fabric. I look forward to seeing your creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my feelings about muslins exactly Tomasa.

      Delete
  7. So glad yours turned out, and is very wearable! Way to go on your mitered corners, they are perfect. I did not do a muslin, and wish I had now, however will be making more toasters. Love this pattern. I actually have bought two other Sew House Seven patterns, and am looking forward to making some pretty dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toaster makes kept popping up all over the internet Diane. I tried to fight the urge to buy but couldn't. What was wrong with the one you made - the sizing or the fabric?

      Delete
  8. Awesome! So cute! I love this top. That fabric matches the pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not absolutely crazy for the print, but it was actually a great fabric weight to use for this fabric.

      Delete
  9. Visit KKPL, if you are seeking authentic Wool Fabric Suppliers in India. Due to the popular demand for Wool Fabric, I have decided to grab this fabric from this leading enterprise! I got a good experience shopping here.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...