October 21, 2017

FALL'S SWEET 16 (Garment 3)...

...how does one make a 16 piece wardrobe capsule? - One garment at a time.  I reached way back in my pattern collection and fabric stash for my third piece of the capsule.  This time I retrieved OOP Vogue 8323 and a deep chocolate ITY knit - both of which have been in my stash collections for eons.

I made View C in this same chocolate ITY knit long ago when I was just starting to sew again.  That was back when I was very unsure of pattern sizing and still having problems accepting the fact that my RTW size and pattern size quite often did not correlate.  On the flip side, that was when I was (and sometimes still am) unsure of sizing - so I would often cut a larger size just to make sure.  That top ended up being way too large through the neck and bust area, not to mention really too low cut for my taste. That top has long been discarded.

This time I raised the neckline 1 1/2", cut size 16 through the neckline and bust area and graded to size 18 through the waist and high hip area.  I also increased the princess seam - seam allowance in the bust area for a much better fit.  This top has princess seaming on both the front and back that I stitched down afterwards.  Rather than add bias tape to finish the neckline, I used a 1 3/8" wide self fabric strip for finishing.  I cannot stand bias tape around my neck.  I also used a twin needle on the neckline and bottom and sleeve hems.  I'm glad to finally get around to replacing my Chocolate ITY knit top.  The princess seaming adds  great fit detail.

Now to decide on garment #4.  Happy weekend sewing ya'll...

22 comments:

  1. What a pretty top Faye! This top has so many options...I love the chocolate color!! I have this pattern too and only used it once...glad I still have it!! Can’t wait to see you in it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra! I like the pattern because the view I made is basically a Tee with the shaping of the princess seaming. I like the fit. Sorry about pictures of me wearing.I have such a hard time with pictures. Firstly, I need a new camera.

      Delete
  2. Slowly but surely, your capsule is coming along nicely. Looking forward to see piece #4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm trying to decide on #4 now. Did you complete your 3 piece capsul?

      Delete
  3. Very nice top! I didn't check the pattern, but it's lovely. Happy weekend too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love princess seams and very nice that they're included in a knit top. I bet it fits wonderfully!!

    Pretty color for fall too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KS I love this color for Fall too and the princess seaming is an extra bonus.

      Delete
  5. What an encouraging post. I have been dragging my feet on sizing too. I love how your top turned out. The color is so rich and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mardell. I second guess myself all the time with sizing. I've read and heard so much that it all gets confusing sometimes - back of the pattern envelop measurements vs measurements printed on the front pattern piece is a prime example of confusing.

      Delete
  6. Great looking top! This is one of my favorite patterns. I have to raise the neckline too--just too low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the top to Catherine it's simple and fitted well.

      Delete
  7. I briefly glanced at your shirt and thought, that’s a really nice top. Without stopping to read I thought it was ready to wear from some expensive boutique. It’s truly classic and classy at the same time. Love it and will take your changes into account when I make mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really simple top but the fit is really to my liking. Thanks so much for the compliment! Can't wait to see your new top as well.

      Delete
  8. The chocolate color is beautiful, and those princess lines fall in such a great spot! You're making some good progress on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super nice top, and lovely fall color. I don't know why I have not seen this pattern, very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old pattern but I really like it because of the fit options. Did you finish your jacket?

      Delete
  10. Oh, I love the lines of that top! It's a great choice for your fall collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job. The pattern is so cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. You have a great blog too!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...