October 5, 2017

FALL'S SWEET 16 (I MADE SOMETHING)...

...it seems that I have neglected my blog.  But you know me better than that - it wasn't neglect at all but rather - circumstances.  We had the aftermath of Hurricane Irma that not only knocked out my power for three days, but also the data disk that held 2 years worth of saved documents and pictures.  Then the stressful busyness of work played it's part.  And finally the fact that my sewing motivation just up and flew away with Irma.

Finally after much coxing just a little bit of the motivation has returned, and now it's time for me to get back to my Fall Sweet 16 sewing plans that I talked about here at the end of August.  My plans were not rigid or stressful, just a simple 16 piece capsule that would define my personal style for the upcoming Fall/Winter Season:

  • 4 Coat/Jacket/Vest or Cardigan
  • 4 Tops/Tunics/Blouses or Tees
  • 4 Pants
  • 4 Dresses and/or Skirts
Back in August when the plans were made I didn't even want to commit myself to patterns and fabrics that I'd use for the capsule. I just wanted to pull patterns and fabrics that struck my fancy along the way.

My first  project:

Bell Sleeved Hem
 I made a Modified version of View D with this TNT pattern. I added a choker tie to the surplice bodice; and changed the 3/4 length sleeve to an over exaggerated full length with a bell shape at the hem.  I remember buying this purple and white jersey knit from JoAnn's.  The printed selvage edge noted April Johnson 2010.  Do you remember April of Savannah from Project Runway Season 8 in 2010.  Do you think 7 years was long enough to let this fabric marinate?


30 comments:

  1. Seven years, LOL! Mine didn't even last seven days!! I Purchased that same fabric, made a top out of it and posted it right away back then! Also Simplicity 1916 is a TNT for me too! I've made it several times and know I will again too! I love your modifications to this pattern and can't wait to see you wearing this cute little top! I'm excited you're sewing again too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra. Every time I picked up this fabric I'd think about matching the print and then put it back on the shelf. This time I just said forget matching the print and just made the top.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of creating a capsule! The fabric and the sleeves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurricane Irma must have been such a stressful event - I'm glad you're ok and back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit Florida harder but really made a mess in Central Georgia. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. A capsule wardrobe is a great idea. Love the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think a capsule wardrobe will be good for my closet. Hope I can pull this off.

      Delete
  5. So glad you're doing alright and getting back in the swing of things.

    I love your new top. Adding the necktie was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KS! This top is my attempt to knock off a La Mia Boutique pattern that I've also had for 10 years. I was afraid to attempt that pattern because the instructions are in Italian. I decided to make an attempt at it with this OOP Simplicity pattern. Glad you are back into your sewing too!

      Delete
  6. Love your changes to the top and that fabric was worth the wait! Glad you came out of the hurricane alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy you didn't suffer any big damage from the hurricane. Your makes are all lovely and look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I had a downed neighbor's tree that missed my house about 3 feet that also damaged my fence pretty badly. Also lost all the food in the frig and freezer but it could have been much worse.

      Delete
  8. I have missed seeing your makes, and are glad that you are doing well after Irma. Your top is beautiful, and I DO remember April from Project Runway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa. I didn't mean to be away but sometimes just happen. I love seeing ALL your makes too. Yes, made it through Irma - now here comes Nate, please Pray for us!

      Delete
  9. Very nice top! - So beautiful. I am really glad that you are back. I always look forward to seeing your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really look forward to seeing your projects too!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're back sewing! Were you able to recover your data at all? The top is cute, and 7 years seems about right. Sometimes fabric just jumps up and sews itself, and other pieces for whatever reason just get set aside for a while, and I think that's okay. The neck tie worked so well! Did you attach it just at the back neckline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. Yes I attached the tie to the back neckline.

      Delete
  11. I'm happy to know you are alright after the hurricane, happy sewing Faye :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see a new item. Hurricanes can really mess up life, especially the ones that have come this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! It felt so good to finally get around to sewing SOMETHING!

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad Irma didn't really harm you. It's awful to lose power for a few days, but at least it wasn't cold, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss at least it wasn't during cold weather.

      Delete
  14. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!
    Related Link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking in and reading my blog! Yes, I will update as much as possible. I am glad to be of help to you.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...