I can't believe that I did this long, highly informative post, and then the internet went down and I lost it ALL. Oh well that's about how the sewing week went for me anyway. Last Saturday while working on a quick and dirty knit top and while serging a seam I heard a loud pop - like a needle had broken or something. Tried to change the needles and of course could not get the screws to budge. I had only 20 minutes to get to the repair shop before it closed, only to get there and find out that not only was a needle bent, but it had knocked my lower looper out of alignment. Had to leave it at the repair shop, but thank God I had a backup serger. Came back home to finish working on the top only to decide that it just wasn't working out and it was time to ditch this Frankenstein knit that tore up my serger.
So, then I decided to work on the teal charmusey top to match my suit. Now really, I made my last lined jacket in a week, why did it take me a week to make this top. Sewing just did not go well for me during the past week. I'm just not lasting long enough at night. Once I have supper - IT'S A WRAP!, and there is no longer any use in trying to get any sewing done. That is the way it's gone for me all week. SEWING = NON-PRODUCTIVE.
I knew I shouldn't have gone with the collared version of Vogue 8392, but I did it anyway. Decisions, decisions! I had the dickens of a time getting the collar facing to act right. I finally got it on, but it's a little wonky. But I am not taking it off. I think it will work just fine under a jacket. WILL I USE THIS PATTERN AGAIN? Yes, I probably will. I think it makes for a nice professional looking under a jacket top. However, next time I will use one of the other neckline variations instead.
I did try something new with this top. I removed sleeve ease prior to cutting the fabric because I am SICK AND TIRED of dealing with excessive sleeve ease that results in me having to work out puckers. I used Sandra Betzina "Power Sewing" tip for removing the ease, page 206. This tip references jacket sleeve caps, but I thought I'd take a chance on a blouse sleeve. I think it worked out wonderfully! I removed approximately 3/4" of ease from each sleeve, and it left just the right amount of ease for my sleeve cap. LOOK MOM, NO PUCKERING!, and that makes me happy.
So besides a little wonkyness with my collar the blouse is completed.
Last week I finished the skirt to the matching set. I used my TNT Butterick 4613 straight skirt pattern but added an invisible zipper application that I am so proud of. I probably watched this video tutorial 20 times, because I am DETERMINED this zipper application become second nature to me.I also added a pleated vent to the hem of the skirt rather than the regular vent suggested by the pattern instructions. This picture shows the pleat before removing the basting stitches. We use to call this a kick pleat - is it still called that. Next time I'll add additional pleating to the vent for a fan effect.
So, the suit is a WRAP. And I know, I need to take pictures of me wearing the outfit. I will as soon as possible. It's just so hard finding someone to take the pictures for me. Albeit, here is one that the kids kindly took of me several weeks ago of me wearing my chanel jacket. My main objective in making this jacket was for it to wear and handle like a sweater. I realized that that objective was accomplished when one of the students said "oh Ms. Lewis I love your sweater".
Now, let me find something else to cut...