November 12, 2012

NEW PROJECT SUNDAY EVEN THOUGH IT'S MONDAY ...

This Sunday's project, although not as planned, found me working with Vogue 8815 yet again.  I know, I know.  How many of these do I need?  I love this top and love wearing them - so there might be even more.  I was so intrigued with Erica's and Rachelle's knit versions that I felt I needed one for myself.   I was a bit timid even though I've made 3 of this pattern with woven fabric.  I toyed with going down a size, but after talking with Rachelle about it, went with my regular size.  I did not use a zipper and things work out just fine - HURRAY for that!  I finished the top this afternoon, which by the way feels a lot like Sunday even though I know it's not.  Been wondering all day long if I should have gone to work  - I know, sad right?

Black Ponte de Roma from Hancock's 30% off  - because I am a bit obsessed with this fabric.       Added 2" to the peplum back and front.
Increased the width of the front peplum to add a set of four pleats on the left side.
Used a self Single-Fold Binding technique from "The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques (Linda Maynard) because I needed to try something new.  Title can be found here.

Now I'm feeling the need of some off-white (I'm still not free yet, but I am working on it ) skinny leg pants.  Boy oh boy, inspiration will sure keep you working... 

32 comments:

  1. Every time you make this top I think great top. Versatile top too, with the variations you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off white skinny leg pants! Oooh! I love the sound of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Kyle, I'm going to try and make them happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top and I really like the peplum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. I still want to make a couple more.

      Delete
  5. Really cute,I need to get this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Love that! Those pleats are takin to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i got the ponte de roma love from you! :) lovely as always, Faye... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I really love this fabric.

      Delete
  8. The neckline looks super- very neat! Must buy that book;-)
    I like the peplum too. I need to get sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time I've used this neckline treatment and I think it really neat.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Faye, the pleats are wonderful! I really like this top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When a style works, it works. I'm sure you wear it well. Love the pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faye, very lovely. I plan to have a closet full of peplums before this year is over. When something works as RhondaBuss ^^^ stated, you have to let it do what it does. LOL. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Melanie. I've got to have a leather one too. Already have the leather, just got to get over the fear of cutting.

      Delete
  12. Good job, Faye. I like the addition of the pleats on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this one is my favorite. I have this pattern and have only made it once, but I have some light weight wool knit that would be perfect and it is black. You have certainly inspired me. I may even try your pleats. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric you described will be really nice for this pattern.

      Delete
  14. I love the pleats! You are totally rocking the peplum trend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely top and really like the pleating detail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great creative eye Faye! This top is beautiful and I bet you can't wait to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did I miss this post?! The top is awesome and I just love, love, love the pleats on the side!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The side pleats are a good idea. Your neck finish is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea to place those pleats on the side of the peplum. I am currently working on a peplum in knit and decided to cut it in my normal size as well. I was hesitant at first but I am glad to hear it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Faye you have just inspired me to try making up this pattern in a stretch fabric as well. I just finished making up my first version of this pattern and I used a crepe de chine fabric that I had in my stash which I thought would be a great way to test the pattern out. By the way thank you for dropping by my new blog and leaving a comment for me... I greatly appreciate it and it was actually rather exciting especially as I've only just started sharing my sewing adventure.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...