November 5, 2012

CARNIVAL OF SKIRTS ADDITION (IS THIS THE YEAR OF THE SKIRT OR THE PEPLUM)...

...I have been sewing; however, slowly.  I guess I can call myself a slow and deliberate sewer.  All of my projects seem to take forever.  My slow production could be attributed to my watching so much television while sewing.  But I really don't see that changing anytime soon - it's habit and I really do enjoy it.  Last weekend I I started a project that had been floating around in my head for a while.  A  novelty suede animal print peplum (Vogue 8815), paired with a faux suede pencil skirt (McCall's 3830).  I finished the top during my Friday night sew-in, but only worked on the skirt a little bit on Saturday because I sacrificed sewing time to give my house some semblance of order.  Can you believe that?  The skirt was finished on Sunday night.  It's underlined as well as lined because it gives the faux suede more weight  - which is more to my liking.

Somehow or another there are vertical wrinkles radiating from the neckline of my top when worn by Lady Faye.
  But they don't show up nearly as much when worn by the real Faye.
 
 
I lowered the neckline about 3/4" from the center front - tapering to nothing at the shoulder seams (advice taken from Smoking Needles) because I was hesitate to do so.  After making this pattern twice before I did know that the neckline is just a little bit too high (almost a bit of a choke factor if you know what I mean).  I added thread belt loops at the side seams because I might want to wear the top with a thin black or brown belt.  I also took designer's liberty and lengthened the back part of peplum 1 inch.  I like this top and couldn't wait to make it in this animal print.  Now I want to make a long sleeved knit version.

My closet is sort of smooshed up  - guess I need to do a bit of a purge.  That closet will just have to make some room for my new suede outfit, and all those yet to come...

21 comments:

  1. How beautiful. I love the print!!! Maybe you can cut the shoulder seam a size smaller the next time around, I'm sure there will be a 'next' time! lol I have made this top 3 times, can't wear either, working on two now in a size smaller!!!! About to give up!!! It looks good on you, Faye!!! Can't wait to see the full ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brenda! Hope you get your tops to fit jam up too!

      Delete
  2. It IS the year of the peplum, isn't it? I love your top Faye! And thank you for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clio - so glad you all are safe!

      Delete
  3. This is lovely. I really like animal prints to start with and made up in this pattern it really is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody is making that shirt and they all look so good! I'm thinking about it, but then I'd have to make a skirt to go with it. Hmmmm. So many decisions. Love yours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a top that fits all body types and I'm thankful for that cause I really like the peplum look. Why not make one to match something that you already have?

      Delete
  5. I have made several Peplums since the beginning of summer. I am going to make one in Pont Knit, first chance I get. I love them, and yours is beautiful. I have not made an animal print on yet, but its on deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie. I want one in ponte also.

      Delete
  6. I am the animal print queen, so I really love your new top and it's perfect with the faux suede skirt. Nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an urge to try V8815, but I'm hesitant at the same time. Instead, I've cut out the pieces for NL 6130 and hope to get fit it...um...soon! Your outfit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fit the Vogue pattern first because I really fell in love with it. I had to make adjustments in the bust area, but it has worked out well for me. I do so love the New Look Peplum too. I made a muslin way back in June but it still needs work. I really need to try that one too.

      Delete
  8. Very nice Faye! I must get in on this! Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terri, I really do like it.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic peplum top, great job, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is the year of the peplum AND the skirt! I have been loving the look! Beautiful outfit, Faye. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is really nice. Would you consider adding the gadget to allow a follower to subscribe via email? Because of terrible knees I do not get to spend too much time online so when new blog posts come to my inbox, that is just wonderful. It would be so appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...