September 20, 2013

FASHION DESIGNER LOVE...EBONY AND IVORY...

...
many of us are attracted to designers who appreciate feminine style, and knows how to design for a woman's body - curves, bumps and everything else in between.  I think Kay Unger is such a designer, and I love her esthetic.  I love it so much that I've amassed quite a collection of her patterns....

....but this is the very first one that I ever sewn.
VOGUE 1329

I did make a rough draft muslin of this pattern, because I didn't want to guesstimate the fit.  My muslin revealed that I should have purchased the pattern that included size 14, because it would definitely fit me better through the shoulder and bust area.  But because I didn't want to spring for the $30.00 pattern again even at 40% off, nor wait for the next $3.99 Vogue pattern sale, I decided to go with what I had on hand.  Using the size 16 necessitated:
  • A minor adjustment of the center front - where I removed 3/4" from the dress front and front yoke; 
  • Somehow or another I had to remove a full inch at the center back; which I decreased by sewing a dart like wedge in the back yoke seam;
  • Decreased the side seam with a 1/2" wedge right at the underarm which I have to do quite often for sleeveless knit garments;
  • This dress also afforded full access without a zipper so I didn't use one.
I decided to use off white poly-interlock (that's what Hancock's calls it; the same fabric at Joann's is called Jet Set.) as my lining.   The dress was so easy to make - THANK YOU KAY UNGER!  Although I like a real sewing challenge every now and again, I can still appreciate an easy peazy project.   It's wonderful to end up with a great looking garment that was easy to make - don't you think?  The only slightly trying part of making the dress was understitching the neckline and  armscye - those were pretty tight places.
Front
Back - definitely need to balance my dressform, it always seems crooked in pictures.  Also need to fix her bowed hips that make my dresses look fat. 
This dress will be included in the collage I make of me wearing all my recently made cool weather dresses when the weather changes...

37 comments:

  1. OOOO, I can't wait to see this on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks nicer than the pattern picture. I may have to take a second look at this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you very much. You'll love the pattern.

      Delete
  3. Great dress, Faye. I'm anxious to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will look absolutely stunning on you - the simple stylish lines and colours are always flattering...J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Faye, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress Faye! Sometimes it's nice to make something easy. I think it keeps us wanting to work on those harder projects. I can't wait to see you wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is wardrobe builder. You can dress it up or down. I can't wait to see you wear it.
    Faye, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia, I can't wait to wear it during the "Week of Dress" that I have planned when the weather chills off some.

      Delete
  8. I agree that I can't wait to see what it looks like on you! I also have this pattern and will have to bring it to the top of my queue because it looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd look great in this dress Kyle! Thank you.

      Delete
  9. This looks good and looking forward to your wearing it. I like when others share their fitting adjustments. I have this pattern and Probably should put into my sewing line up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I think this dress would look great on you.

      Delete
  10. looks great! I'm finding that patterns have changed in the last 30 years & by the time I'm done with the they are custom made for my short little self for sure lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooooo pretty and can't wait to see you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you look lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it Faye and look forward to seeing it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Kay's style too. Love your dress Faye. I bet you look smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too LOVE her patterns and also love your dress result.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda...finally got a chance to check out your blog. As usual, you did a great job and it looks like an exact replica of the pattern . Can't wait to see this dress on you! Love it.
    Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous dress, Faye! I made this pattern too and loved it. It's so flattering. I am sure you feel like a million bucks whenever you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous dress, Faye! I made this pattern too and loved it. It's so flattering. I am sure you feel like a million bucks whenever you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did I miss this Faye??? Great dress! I haven't tackled this pattern yet. Now after seeing yours, I just may! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...