July 20, 2014

A LITTLE WEEKEND SEWING...

...I'm almost certain that I won't win any blogger awards for this make, BUT it's exactly what I wanted.  I've been saying for a long time that I wanted a slouchy, yoga band, knit maxi skirt.  You know the easy wear kind that you can pull on with a tank top when you need to make a run to the store.  Yep, that's exactly what I wanted, and now I've got it.  I had a couple of patterns in mind  - these were the two I chose from

I liked both, and went back and forth with my decision before settling on the first one.  I started out by removing 4 inches each from the hem of both the front and back pattern pieces before cutting.  The pattern runs extremely large, and in the end I finally took the skirt up in the side seams by what amounted  to 3 sizes.  I now wish I had just gone ahead and used the slimmer skirt of the second pattern and just added a yoga waistband.  I really like the skirt though, and plan on making a second one using the other pattern in a denim look knit that I have on hand.

I used a light weight cotton knit that's held resident in my stash for a very long time.  At first I thought it might be too light weight, but turns out it was just right for what I wanted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, need I mention that
starts this week. Finally, something to watch on TV that sparks my interest...

35 comments:

  1. Looks very comfy indeed ~ and a great fit ... ideal skirt ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judith, I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, I glad I finally got around to making it.

      Delete
  4. Your skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely! awesome summer piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too Jennifer, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great! Wonderful idea for running out quickly and yet not looking like you just rolled out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IKR! It really is comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's lovely and great to wear during hot summer day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks comfy and very slimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane and I need the looks slimming part.

      Delete
  11. It's really pretty! And who doesn't love a "throw on" garment that STILL looks great and pulled together?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great look in a versatile color! You'll get a lot of wear out of this make for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mushy. You make some lovely skirts yourself.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous7/21/2014

    It looks great! I bet it's super comfy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexandra. Love your upcoming wardrobe plans.

      Delete
  14. Ooooh Miss Faye - this is too cute! and a little on the sexy side! Watch out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri, I've wanted this skirt for a long time. Thought it was about time to get to it.

      Delete
  15. Good choice! I would have selected pattern no. 1 too (if I were a smaller gal, hee hee). I like it on you too.

    Keep sewing,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Faye, I meant to share with you about the Make A Garment A Month Challenge". http://makeagarmentamonthchallenge.blogspot.com/; I am thinking you might enjoy the fun.

      Cheers,

      Lyric

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lyric - what a pretty name. I took part in the 2013 MAGAM challenge, I think it was the later 5 or 6 months of the year. This year has been so hectic though that I thought I couldn't add to the plate. Thanks for mentioning it though. Sarah has don a wonderful job moderating the site.

      Delete
  16. That is an awesome and such a great piece for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I'm envisioning this simple make in all kinds of scenarios - a tank and a jean jacket is one of them.

      Delete
  17. Faye, this is such a great skirt, love this look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You may not get any blogging awards but you sure got a nice lot of comments on this perfect summer skirt. Your changes make this perfectly proportioned for your figure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Nancy. I was a little worried at first because I actually don't like garments that contain too much fabric. I had to decrease, try on, and then decrease some more to get it to my liking. I am happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's cute and it's fitting. You'll enjoy this maxi skirt. Faye, I can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The skirt looks great. And Yay to project runway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this skirt on you Faye!!! Perfect fit and that color will pair with many items!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...