October 1, 2014

EBONY AND IVORY...

...I've had a hankering for Papercut Pattern's Ensis color blocked knit top since the first time I spotted it (seen here).  Although I will buy an independent makers pattern from time to time, I couldn't convince myself that I ought to spring for this "top only" pattern at the cost.  Vogue 8950 offered a similar top and although it was a reasonable facsimile, I didn't trust the cut of the neckline.  So I decided to hack into Simplicity 1324 instead.
I really like the fit and look of my new top.  Must mention that the knit top of Simplicity 1324 runs small.

I used a left over remnant from another top that I made during the summer for the black part -  it's a very light weight sweater knit; and a really nice weight white cotton knit for the bottom.  Since I started sewing for Fall, for some reason I keep pulling black and white yardage from my stash.  This is my third black/white project in a row and I've got an idea for yet another one in the same color combo. I'm going to have to hurry up and add some pops of color before this goes too far...

21 comments:

  1. That's a great looking top! I may just copy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! Go right ahead and give it a whirl.

      Delete
  2. Love your version better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, this color combo is nice and on trend in the black and cream! You did a great job with this top, just beautiful! I want to make me one now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. I'm waiting to see your finish cape too.

      Delete
  4. And did that pattern cost you 99 cents? I bet you saved some money there, too! It looks great, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the pattern for either 5 for 5 or $1.99 but either way it was a big savings. Thank you Bunny!

      Delete
  5. I love your top. I've been on a black and white streak for most of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly can't miss wardrobe wise with the black/white combo. Thank you Towanda!

      Delete
  6. Pretty top, now I want to hack...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super top, and you 'hacked' perfectly! And the black and white combo is such a great one to work with ... J

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is nice Faye!! The color combo is fabulous! I am partial to black and cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree...that's a little steep for just a top. I like your alternative much better! Love your top Ms. Faye. Great use of remnant fabric! So stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your rendition of this top. Thanks for the heads up on the sizing. I have this one too, but I bought it for the skirt. Thanks again,
    C

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...