May 11, 2017

GIVING MCCALL'S 6886 THE COLD SHOULDER...

... you know that you really like a pattern when you can remember the number at the drop of a hat.  Take Vogue 8815 for instance; I made that peplum so many times that I think I actually killed it!  I don't think I'll ever forget that pattern number.  Well, it's a similar situation with McCall's 6886, although I think I'll give it a rest - UNLESS I find I need a great fitting, easy knit dress for some future event.

I think McCall's 6886 has already been hacked every which way but loose all across the internet.  However, I haven't seen the dress given the cold shoulder treatment yet.  It's probably been done already and I just missed it.  But for now I'll just pretend that I'm the first to do it (LOL).

It all started with:
. being gifted this nice scuba knit yardage (from Diane of Remembering Oz) nothing like fabric from Texas,
 

. and, the fact that I needed a dress.

I'd never sewn scuba before and was a little bit intimidated by the slight spongy feel of the fabric.  So I put out a quick message to Sheilaz_CTK (who I know has worked with it quite a bit), and after she answered my questions I couldn't wait to sink my sewing machine needle into this fabric. I just added a shortened cold shoulder sleeve from Butterick 6425.  Such a simple hack, but I do love the results!

This time I made the deeper scoop necked version
Butterick 6425 modified cold shoulder sleeve
It's always so nice when a plan turns out just as you visualized...

20 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job Ms. Faye with your changes! This is a beautiful dress anyone would love to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra it fun sewing scuba for the first time.

      Delete
  2. You will look so cool wearing this new dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. It's actually a gift for someone that I hope will love it.

      Delete
  3. This is such cool fabric, and it really shows off the cold shoulder well! So what are your top tips on dealing with scuba? I recently bought some from Fabric Mart who had some in my colors, but I too haven't sewn with it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth. My main tip would be to press with steam, a press cloth and a clapper especially on hems to achieve a crisper edge.. I blind hemmed the sleeves which was just okay,so I hand hemmed the bottom which looked better. Remove stitches with care as the fab will pick. I used the needle that was already in my machine after doing a test on a scrap - it must have been a ball point because I had sewn several knit garments prior.The fabric sewed like butter. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing! I'll keep these things in mind!

      Delete
  4. I love these cold shoulders - gorgeous! I will check out both patterns definitely. The one pattern I think I'll never forget the # of is the McCall's 7542. Love LOVE this pattern :) - I've hacked the sleeves in this pattern already to a few shirt patterns. In fact I've decided I'm going to make up those sleeve pattern pieces in fabric to make sure they last :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on McCall's 7542 Kathleen. I've made only made one of the views so far and I traced the pattern to save the original.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful job you are doing ... FIESTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress looks great Ms. Faye!! I like that you hacked your favorite pattern in order to get the cold shoulder look. Also, I just got around to posting about the cold shoulder top I made for the sew along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard for me to decide on the cold shoulder or a flutter sleeve. Both the cold shoulder a flutter sleeves are included in the Butterick pattern.
      Yes, I did see your cold shoulder sewalong top. It's actually the first one listed on the Sewalong Pinterest Board you can use this link to see it there https://www.pinterest.com/fayedoll1/fayes-2017-tops-that-pop-sew-a-long/. I also posted it on my blog on May 4th. It was beautiful!, and thank you so much for participating! Be on the look out next year for the 2018 Sew-a-long in April.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely dress Ms. Faye...possibly Mother's day dress with a cute white floppy hat? You'll have to post a picture of you modeling it! For the life of me I could not figure out what to do with this material, and I have this exact material in kind of a mint green, you just gave me an idea. So impressed what you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for the fabric Diane. I wanted to make sure I put it to good use. I think the dress work out quite well in that fabric!

      Delete
  8. You can never over-use an easy, comfortable, classic dress, and I love your cold shoulder treatment! Pretty fabric; that will be a nice dress to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great pattern hack! love your new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic dress! I love your fabric choice. The pattern is such an interesting shape and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! The dress was a Mother's day gift for my Mom.

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...