May 27, 2017

I WANT IT ALL - PART 2...

...hang in here with me folks! I hope you are willing to help see me through my "I want it all" pants fitting series.  I'm being a bit greedy with this because I want to be able to have pants of all types.
I will be working with my TNT pattern that I mentioned yesterday.  But today I made a decision to work with Vogue 9032- view c the flare leg design.

I've read all of the reviews that I could find on this pattern, and what attracted me to it other than the flare leg, were the slant pockets and the princess seamed back.   I've never worked with a two piece back pants pattern before but thought it would give me more options to tailor my fit.
Well, here's the first muslin for Vogue 9032. (Remember I said I am willing to make as many muslins as necessary in this pants fitting session).  Seriously, I am pretty happy with muslin #1, it's a real rough draft of a muslin.  This muslin was made over a week ago and I've lost count of the number of times I've tried it on thus far.

My critique: I need to make an adjustment in the slant pocket area that I don't think will be too hard to manage.   I'm not sure if I should try to address the bit of bagginess in the knee area, of if this would work it's self out when made in real fabric; I'll have to think about that a little more. I increased the center back rise one full inch which feels quite comfortable now.

I've included this video from one of Andrea Davis' Fit Friday classes to my pant's fitting resources. She gives regular pattern fitting classes via YouTube and other internet platforms.  I attended this class and thought it would be interesting and helpful to my readers as well.... 





15 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in your final opinion of the two-piece back. I've done it once in jeans and a few times in knit pants. I like the idea of it to be one more fitting seam in there, but in truth, I don't remember if I used it to the advantage of my flat seat on those woven pants... More experimentation is needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time using the two piece back Elizabeth and I will definitely let you know how well I like it. Pants fitting experimentation is becoming an ongoing job for me and I have to set aside time for it from time to time.

      Delete
  2. Watching and reading your posts with great interest Faye. I think the slight flare will suit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I've made pants before, this is quite a learning experience for me Sarah. I am really loving the flare legs too.

      Delete
  3. These will be a nice addition to your wardrobe once complete. Thank you Faye for participating in the Sew-To-Fit Friday class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also created a playlist for you for later.

      Delete
    2. Being able to go back and watch the class video makes this a wonderful resource. I'll look forward to getting the playlist when you send it Andrea.

      Delete
  4. I admire your persistence in pursuit of the perfect pants. I'm watching with interest! Happy Memorial Day, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Memorial Day to you to Marjie. I don't know they will ever be perfect, but I am in hot pursuit.

      Delete
  5. You're do a great job on these Ms. Faye! I also feel that you're getting a little more comfortable with the process too! I can't wait to see your finished project and yes, we can have them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra, yes a tiny bit more comfortable with the process. I am so greedy, I do want them all.

      Delete
  6. I feel like you do Faye - I want it all! So far, I feel like I have been able to get a nice fitting wide leg pair of pants but struggle with the other shapes. I have taken a break from pants for now but I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so greedy Tomasa. I take long breaks from pants too, and by the time I get back to them it always seems like I am starting all back over from the beginning.

      Delete
  7. Your muslin is looking good, with only a few tweaks needed. Why not want it all?

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...