September 14, 2008

WHIRL WIND WEEKEND...

Talk about a whirl wind weekend! As usual my sewing weekend started on Friday afternoon with my sewing class. The sad thing about this week was this was the last session of the class. This week Lisa introduced us to some books from her sewing resource library and showed us her Inspiration Notebook which was very impressive. It showcased her method of keeping up with her dream projects and I will be copying it for myself.

After class I came home and sewed non-stop to get my projects finished the projects that I wanted to enter in the GEORGIA NATIONAL FAIR SEWING EXHIBIT. A dream come true for me. I had not gone to fair in years, but visited it last fall. One of my favorite things to do at the fair is to visit all of the exhibit halls. The one of particular interest to me was of course the garment exhibits. It was then and there that I decided that I was going to enter in 2008. So I've actually been thinking about this for an entire year. I since met Lisa and Ebony and after mentioning it to them we decided that we would all be entering this year. Saturday was the deadline so we all finished projects on Friday night. I didn't get to bed until 2:00 a.m.; Lisa said she turned in at 2:30 and Ebony said she stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG! Needless to say we did not pull out of the driveway at 8:30 a.m. as we had planned.

This was such an exciting day for all three of us. We didn't get to do our photo session of us wearing the garments before submission as we had planned, but I did get a few pictures when we submitted our projects. Of course I tried to sneak a peek at the other entries while I was there (he he). We really wanted to do this, but we all had a hard time parting with our garments - after all they have to be there for an entire MONTH! So we all need to rush home to make more clothes!










(I added this ladies picture because we share the exact same good old fashioned southern double name - LINDA FAYE.)

After wards we had lunch at a local "Chicken Shack" and shopped at the Perry, GA Walmart to see what treasures we could f
ind. I have to stop to reflect what a huge blessing it is to have made friends with these ladies. So many people want to do things but don't because they don't have anyone to do it with. I am so very blessed to have my sewing buddies! It is so good to have someone to bounce ideas off of and also learn from. After the Walmart trip we came back to Warner Robins and shopped the local Hancocks - and you know it was on with those 40% coupons. After all of that sewing we did to get ready for the exhibit - all we could talk about during the afternoon was "WHAT WE ARE PLANNING TO SEW NEXT"! All I can say is...it's on! So with sparks flying from the sewing machine and steam irons on here is the project I finished last night and what's next on the cutting board...I started this shirt in last weeks sewing class but didn't get finished because I had to complete my fair entries. So in keeping with my goal of "NO UFO's" I had to get this finished.
This is what's cook next - Simplicity 3627 view c that is supposed to be an easy project. BUT, I'm already thinking of adding to the construction to do what I think would make this a better garment (underlining). Here I go again.....

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't know there was a Georgia National Fair Sewing Exhibit. I'm going to have to go this year to cheer y'all on. Congrats on finishing your garment and entering the fair.

    CarlaF-in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh, I am soooo proud of the three of you! That is such an awesome thing to do! You will go back and take pictures and share with us, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had so much fun with you and Ebony.I think I can see the sparks flying from your sewing machine from here.LOL.
    The blouse looks great.I like what's on the table for the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Faye, I'm so proud of you. I knew you'd get your entries done in time. The new blouse is beautiful. I can see a marked improvedment in your skills since taking your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun time you had!!!:-)



    Your blouse looks absolutely gorgeous(of course I'm a bit biased here, 'cos that is my fave shirt collar style, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its a great idea about the fair! I was going to enter one or two of my garments in our local fair this year but kept dragging my feet. But it WILL happen next year :) . It's a motivation for good sewing, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faye,It was so nice of you to comment on my Sandra Betzina coat that I had to visit your blog. I love what I see and your blouse is lovely. I love the hint of shine on one of the stripes!
    It sounds like great fun sewing with your friends and entering your projects in the state fair . Good luck to you all. By the way, I'm from New Brunswick, one of the Maritime provinces in Canada.If I lived in the US I'd vote for Obama.Bye for now,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Faye you are definitely doing your dang and participating in a sewing fair... that is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...