I finally got something finished. It's been a while, but maybe this one shirt will help me get back into the sewing thing. I purchased this pattern at the Sewing Expo last weekend. It's a Louise Cutting design that we saw made up and fell in love with. It only has four pattern pieces and is a asymmetrical design - the hem of the shirt is slanted and one shoulder is cut wider or longer than the other. It has two front pieces (a left and a front) to make up the slanted effect. I used a cotton animal print that was gifted to me by Mrs. Madison. I prewashed so it should be safe from srinkage. The shirt is really roomy and made to wear a tee shirt under if you like.
I coverstitched the the hems and used my new edge foot for topstitching the front and collar edges. I purchased the edge foot at the expo for my Janome machine, but it fits my Singer machine too. The edge foot worked really well for topstitching, maybe this is finally the answer to my topstitching issues.
I'm making a big deal about this simple cotton shirt, but I'm really glad to have something done.