October 26, 2011

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT(4)...

… I’ve fallen so deeply in love with this stuff I thought it high time I did a little bit of research on it.  This is probably just the tip of the iceberg on the subject.  Maybe some of my readers would like to add something that I still don’t know about PONTE ROMA KNITS.


My love affair actually began about four years ago when I used the most wonderful fabric (didn’t know what it was at the time) to make Very Easy Vogue 8408.  I searched my blog for the post on this dress, but couldn’t find it – maybe I never posted it – can’t imagine why.  So I wore it today just to get a picture.


I posed the question: “What is the difference in Ponte Roma and light weight double knit” and Google’s Search engine that took me straight to Artisan’s Square.  There I followed a thread that began July 2010 and is still going strong.  Seems someone other than me is interested in this treasure.  I won’t bore you with all my notes from the thread, but I will mention a few highlights.  If you are as interested you can read the 5 page thread HERE.  


·       Just what is Ponte di Roma?  Per Textile.com

"A fabric made in a double knit construction, usually produced in one color rather than color patterns. This plain fabric has an elastic quality with a slight horizontal line. The fabric looks the same on both sides.  Weft knitted, interlock based, double jersey structure. Ponte di Roma means 'roman bridge' which is suggested by the arrangement of loops. The fabric looks the same on both sides."  (Unless it’s a print)


·  Just where can you buy it?

Fabric.com has an RPL ponte called Sophia.

You can also get Sophia knits at Vogue fabrics.

  • What fabric content should I look for?
Ponte: 60 inches wide, 72% Poly, 24% Rayon, 4% Spandex, 4 inches stretches to about 7 inches crossgrain. 
Sophia: 60 inches wide, 67% Poly, 30% Rayon, 3% Spandex; 4 inches stretches to about 6 inches crossgrain.

    ·     How do people take care of the fabric?
         - I throw in the washer and dryer with no ill effects.

         - I always pretreat using the roughest method I might   accidentally use:  warm or hot water, regular wash, dryer.  If I am not satisfied with the result, I don't make the garment.
     - If I am satisfied, after I make the now-clean and preshrunk garment, I treat it gently.   I wash in cold water and hang dry or dry on low.

        - I usually wash and hang to dry.

    Now I off to do a little work on my third dress, will post as soon as finished.....

    16 comments:

    1. I think that is such a class outfit, and you look great in it!

      ReplyDelete
    2. So I take it that dress is a ponte knit? I have never used a ponte knit before, but I have recently been intrigued after seeing various bloggers' creations from it. I guess I will have to buy some.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I bought my first ponte roma fabric recently (10 yds of black ones!) and I too am in love :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for the info Faye!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I love the collar on the dress. You may have me sold on ponte roma, I don't think I've sewn with it yet.

      ReplyDelete
    6. That dress is very chic on you.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Fabulous dress - it looks very classy and elegant - I love it!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Your dress looks great. Now I want to get some of this fabric.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Just caught up on this post and your last one. The new dresses are really cute, and so is the one you're showing here with the belt. I'm so glad you're making such excellent progress on your hit list! Have a great weekend, Faye!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great dress and love the neckline. Ponte knit is perfect for when you want stretch, but not a slinky stretch.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Looks great on you~~! I will definitely have to check out that knit...thanks for the info.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Ponte Roma never dies! That stuff lasts forever. Plus you have the flexibility of a knit but it's way more stable.

      ReplyDelete
    13. As Mary said, this knit never dies. Nancy's Notions also has Sophia knits. I have purchased clothing from a rather high priced store (IMHO) to learn that it was Ponte Knit. There are probably varying degrees of quality but Sophia fits into that good quality fabric I think.

      ReplyDelete
    14. That dress looks fantastic. So classy and elegant. I totally understand why you're in love with that kind of fabric. It sews and wears like a dream.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Thanks for posting a picture of your very flattering dress.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Faye, that is a great dress! Just shows that it's a good classic that you can wear it four years later and it looks just as fresh and fabulous!

      ReplyDelete

    THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

    Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

    ...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...