...not really much going on in here this weekend - I had to do a little pause because I'm having my floors redone and can't get into the laundry room to pre-treat fabrics for my next projects.
The floor is still tacky after almost 24 hours but isn't it pretty!
I did; however, work on Vogue 8731. I made view C (the print one in the picture). I've been wanting to make up some simple tunics to wear with the leggings that I LIVE in when I'm at home, especially during the winter months. I thought the length of view C would cover better just in case I want to make a run to the store - I'd be covered properly.
I haven't made any tops recently since I've been on a heavy dress kick since October. I took a few headless shots just to check the fit. Headless, because refinishing floors and hairdos really don't go together.
The fit of the pattern is just o.k. due to an "oh, I know what I'm doing" alteration that resulted in a "guess I shouldn't have done that" finished product. Want to know what I did??? I lengthened the shoulder area of the pattern (about 2") because I really... it looked awfully short to me. And although I also raised the neckline 1 1/2" - because it looked too low for my liking - raising it was null and void because of the shoulder alteration I had made. I really over-thought this project.
Besides the miss-judgements I made on my alterations, my fabric was soooo very uncooperative. How could this pretty printed knit that I bought all the way from New York's fashion district last summer be so unsuitable FOR ANYTHING! First of all I actually had to have help laying it out on the cutting table. Don't think we ever really got it on the straight of grain! I thought about ditching this project several times, but noooooooo, me and my "must finish every thing I start" philosophy couldn't let it go. Mind you I liked this print so much that I bought not one, but two 2 yard cuts of it - so there is still another piece left. The fabric fought me on the serger and on the sewing machine. And please don't ask me what it is... some sort of poly-cotton-slinky-sticks-to-its-self -maybe-some-jersey-in-it-stuff!
This will definitely be an at home with leggings top - so I will get some wear out of it even though it's not perfect. Glad I chose to make a top rather than a dress - cause with this fabric that would have been an even bigger mess. I did manage an infinity scarf out of my scraps that I've tied slightly different from my others. The scarf was even a mess to sew.
I will make the top again some time soon. After all, it's only three easy pieces with the most time consuming part being the darts/tucks. Oh yeah, I used a self bias fabric for the neck binding rather than bias tape as the pattern suggested. The self binding is just a little bit easier on sensitive skin.
About the only other thing I have planned sewing wise with what I have left of the weekend are two more scarves.
WHAT'S ON YOUR SEWING TABLE...
...back in mid March - before I got deeply involved in planning the #2018TOPSTHATPOP Sew-a-long, I had started back in on pants fitting. Re...
...twas six days before Christmas, just one day after my birthday, and my 2017 Winter Coat Project is complete. Right now I'm calling h...
...Sewing information and tutorials that recently caught my eye: An interesting conversation about choosing the correct pattern size, from...