February 4, 2013

...


I'd love to tackle two big projects during Fearless - February (F-F) that have been on my sewing back burner for a very long time.  But since I sew much faster in my mind than I do in reality, I think I'd better concentrate on just one of them for starters.  No need in boggling my mind anymore than necessary.- right?

My (F-F) project is - oop Vogue 2873
a pattern that I've had for a long, long time.  I've often wanted to make it, but was fearful that I'd be able to pull it off.  Why fearful? - I really don't know - just fearful.   But when I saw the jacket made by Erica and then by Lori, I was ready to kick fear to the curb and go with what my Grandmother taught me - that being "NOTHING BEATS A TRY".

Last week I chronicled some of my progress, but the project actually started the week before with the preparation of the fabric.  Lori mentioned that she had washed her wool blend fabric by accident; I washed mine on purpose.  I'd had the fabric four or more years - gifted by my fabulous friend Ebony; but it felt stiff as though it contained some sort of sizing so I decided to wash it.  I pre-measured and found that I had 9 inches to play with.  After laundering in warm water (yes I know it was risky), and drying on medium I was left with a much softer piece of fabric and only 2 inches to spare.  Thank goodness I still had enough for my pattern pieces even after lengthening the body of the jacket 2".

Friday evening was spent removing a great deal of the fusible tricot interfacing that I felt made the jacket too stiff.  On Saturday I rolled out of bed and rolled into the sewing room where I spent the ENTIRE day working.  Got the lapel and collar taped and padded using that wonderful serpentine stitch that Erica mentioned.  WHAT A TIME SAVER!!! 
Shaped the lapel
and the collar
Taped the front edge along the seamline
Got the pocket flaps made and stitched on
and finally got it to resemble a jacket.  Funny thing though, I got the muslin to fit just fine, but found the jacket to be a tad too large - go figure!  Especially since I'd already jumped the gun by finishing  and stitching the pocket flaps on - which by the way I'm NOT going to remove.  I'll just make a fit adjustment in the back princess seams.

Now comes the scary part - attaching the collar and inserting the sleeves - uncharted territory.  I'm taking a deep breath and I'll use the following quote and a prayer to see me through...
Lastly, I'm coupling the Fearless-February sew-a-long with SewMuchTalent's Stash Smashing month long challenge since I'm sewing from my stash...


36 comments:

  1. Looking good; I can't wait to see how it turns out. I go back and forth on making tailored jackets. Not sure if I am up for the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really amazed that I bit into this Adelaide, but I guess it was about time.

      Delete
  2. Your jacket is going to be so pretty. Way to be fearless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your jacket is certainly my muse for this project! Thanks for your helpful hints Lori!

      Delete
  3. Very fearless Faye! Excited to see how your jacket turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lot of work, Faye, but I know it's gonna be well worth it...looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is lots of work - what was I thinking???

      Delete
  5. F-F is your month, Faye! This is looks smashing...love the colour...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jacket is looking good so far. All the hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - I do love myself some pay days!

      Delete
  7. It's looking fabulous. Way to go Faye, conquer your fear by hitting head on :) Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you Faye. This looks like it's going to be a real winner. A classically style edgy jacket.
    Go fearless Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WowFaye! How fast so you sew in your mind??? You got a LOT done in a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sew like a worker bee in my mind Debra, but in reality I sew at the rate a snail crawls. hehe

      Delete
  10. This jacket is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Elizabeth!

      Delete
  11. Go girl!!!! You are going to be so proud(rightly so;) when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda, finish is the operative word (lol).

      Delete
  12. This is looking great, Faye. Love that serpentine stitch idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny I checked all my machine manuals and was elated to find that one of them had this stitch. Love it too!

      Delete
  13. Your jacket is coming along nicely. I know it's going to be fabulous! Don't fret the sleeves. Just remember that everything needs to be smooth only at the stitching lines. I repeat this phrase whenever I'm sewing a difficult area. Using sleeve heads really help set a sleeve easily. By sewing a bias strip into the sleeve cap first, the ease is pulled up by the strip and the sleeve sets in beautifully. Can't wait to see the finished garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn I'm trying hard to wrap my mind around all you've advised about the sleeves. I've used sleeve heads once before and also the bias strip to ease the sleeve cap and both turned out really good. I'll give it another try on this jacket.

      Delete
  14. I am really loving this jacket and the great details . Go Fearless Faye

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are fierce! Don't forget it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to forget Gwen. It would be much easier if you lived next door to me.

      Delete
  16. What a gorgeous colour. This is going to be a really lovely jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, about the color. Would you believe that I actually thought this was purple??? I do believe I suffer from a bit of color blindness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh! I was about to say "Purple is such a great color on you, Faye!" So, apparently I also suffer from color blindness! LOL

      Go for it! I know you will ace this jacket. It looks fantastic so far!

      Delete
  18. WoW, Faye. This is some great work and lots of it. Watching your progress has me feeling anxious. lol. I can't wait to see the finished garment! You go Fearless One!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you are progressing very nicely. Great looking jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The color is so pretty and the jacket looks like its coming along nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your jacket is coming along very well! I love the color too and can't wait to see it completed!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...