August 5, 2013

FLIPPING ON OVER INTO FALL...

...as far as sewing and blogging have been concerned - school started last Thursday - need I say more.  This past weekend I did get a chance to start a new top muslin for this pattern

BUTTERICK 5890
I was going to make View B, but ran into at least four fit issues:
  • the front neckline was too high
  • even with cutting a size 14 through the neck and shoulder area, had to take a 1" tuck in the center front at the neckline
  • needed to take a 1/2" horizontal tuck above the bust
  • had major diagonal drag wrinkles radiating from mid arm toward the bust
I'm trying to decide if I want the top bad enough to work through the pattern alterations.  I'm really glad that I made the muslin rather than going straight for my fashion fabric.  Right now I feel the need to make something absolutely gorgeous but simple (or is that an oxymoron?).

Contrary to my norm, I'm absolutely ready to move on over into Fall sewing even though there's still more than a month of summer left, and temperatures are steaming in the high 90's.  Maybe I feel the need to flip on over into Fall because school starts so very early here.  There are several "must haves" on the top of my Fall list, and since I can't figure out what else to sew for summer - I might as well flip on over, don't you think?

Of all the new Vogue patterns this is the one that I just had to have
VOGUE 8939
I do love the elongated blazer, but the dress in the pattern is what I want most.
A plain and simple, turtle necked, straight knit dress.  No darts (I hate bust darts in knit fabric), no zipper.  What more could I ask for??? I visualize it accessorized with a low slung wide belt and a big bib necklace, or a very colorful scarf, or even a big pashmina shawl in a contrasting color worn with boots.  Do you see how far my mind takes these things?, way on over into the deep end.  I've got a luxurious double knit left over from my first NYC shopping trip that I've been saving for just the right garment, and I think this one is it.  Yes I'll make a muslin, add a back hem vent, and about 5 inches in length.  Got to make sure this thing is right if I'm gonna use my double knit...

27 comments:

  1. Muslins are a pain, but so very important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Adelaide. I'd love to have my pre-got to make a muslin first body back again. The days when a size 12 worked for me right out of the envelope. But I know that's never gonna happen.

      Delete
  2. I've just purchased that little top - so thank you for the warning. I guess muslins do point out the problems and you can decide whether to pursue or not. I think it might be a good idea to do simple, satisfying project and go back to the Butterick if and when you are ready. Sometimes a girl has got to have a break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sarah I think a great fitting pattern would be just the break I need.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8/06/2013

    You do realize that there is no dress in that pattern, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, a muslin is a necessary pain! Also, I think that dress would look fabulous on you too, I kinda like it for myself too! Great pic Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would look great on you too Myra!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8/06/2013

    I had fallen in love with the skirt in that pattern, but decided I didn't need it. Now your making me want the pattern all over again as I didn't see the possibilities in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know Shawnta I think the pattern has endless possibilities too.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8/06/2013

    hey Anonymous - there is a dress in that pattern - check it out on the vogue pattern site

    Faye - I am still feeling summer but I understand the need for a quick and beatiful "fix". In those cases I flip back to my TnT's and use some gorgeous fabic find - problem solved.

    Good luck with moving it forward to fall - I will be watching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for handling that comment about the dress pattern for me.

      Delete
  7. You chose a great pattern from the Vogue lineup. Once you make sure that the fit is perfect, there are a million things you can do with that pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rhonda, I feel the very same way about the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ready for fall sewing as well. School starts soon and I have several ideas that I'd like to see come into being. I want to try and stay ahead of the season so I'm not sewing clothes I need when I need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree L. It would be nice to have what you need already hanging in the closet when the time comes wouldn't it?

      Delete
  10. I'm used to school starting crazy early in the South, but this is beyond crazy. So I won't tell you when my boys go back to school, OK? Then you won't tell me when you're out a month before my boys are. I like your vogue pattern; I think that dress and blazer will be a fabulous combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought of the pattern when I first saw it Marjie. RE school: Yes, we are out around memorial day and back again the first day of August. Use to think it had something to do with trying to beat the summer heat, but that doesn't hold true because it's much, much hotter the first of August. All I can say is thank God for air conditioning!

      Delete
  11. Oh, I like every single one of the pieces in the pattern you chose! and I can see that dress looking just fabulous on you. Classic and elegant :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that Butterick top pattern and I'm glad you gave me the heads-up. I'm always happy to have made a muslin but I still try to get away with it when possible...but I won't try it with this one...


    I like the jacket in V8939 and I love the skirt too just not together in the fabric Vogue put them in. I wish Vogue was better at showcasing their patterns...I didn't give this one a second thought until you mentioned the possibilities of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you revisit that pattern, the pleating detail is pretty. I have that pattern and was concerned about the neckline. That suit is so Fall and looking forward to your jacket & dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...