January 5, 2014

I FELL IN LOVE WITH A JACKET....

...I confess, over Christmas I fell in love with Merche's of aventuras de costuras jacket.  I LOVE simple cute things.  Not that Merche's jacket is simple by far - not with that fantastic detachable fur collar; but rather it was the jacket's simple design lines that caught my eye.  I don't think she could have chosen a better fabric or color for the jacket.

Anyway, here's the pattern



I dickered with myself several nights about purchasing the pdf pattern.  I searched and searched my fully loaded pattern stock but could not find a pattern that I thought mimicked the Ninot jacket.  And since I now have a working printer (birthday present to myself)  I went ahead and clicked the submit button and ordered it (Christmas present to myself).

After I made and fitted the muslin and was preparing to cut the fashion fabric a mental struggle began over whether or not to incorporate tailoring into the project.   Each and every jacket or coat I make DOESN'T have to turn into a full fledged TAILORING JOB or does it.  I just wanted to jump in and make the darned thing following the instructions exactly (get it over with quick and dirty).   But realizing that incorporating tailoring techniques yields a more professional looking garment and makes it last longer, I had to give in.  After all, who can argue with their logical self?, not I!  So needless to say there's been a whole lot of stitching going on this weekend.
 
The fully interfaced front, front yoke, back, back yoke, and under collar.  The interlining has also been hand basted to all these pieces.

The Peter Pan collar interfaced, pad stitched, turned, shaped, molded, steamed and pinned to my dressform to dry

Of course not everything I do in tailoring is perfect or probably would be considered proper by experts.  It's all still a learning process.   I guess I could call it my  "making do with what you have, until you get what you want or need tailoring method .  Me and several other bloggers have asked Gentleman Jim from the Lost Art of Fine Tailoring to do a jacket/coat DVD on tailoring.  Hope he's listening! 

Stay tuned, I'll be sharing more of my Ninot Jacket progress...
 

25 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this all finished, such a cute coat. Great job on the tailoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'd have opted for quick and dirty I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go quick and dirty so badly, but finally talked myself out of that.

      Delete
  3. I really like that jacket pattern as well! It's so beautifully designed for something so simple. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! did you find the pdf pattern to be true to size?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen I used my high bust measurement which meant I had to go with the largest size on the pattern. I didn't worry about the waist or the hip measurements because it's a swing style jacket. I did make a muslin and it fit pretty good. So to get a even better fit I eased the collar, back yoke and jacket back (all cut on the fold) over 1/4 inch to give myself a little more wearing ease. Hope my guestimation works out.
      What I'm saying is I think the pattern is pretty much true to size.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you bought this pattern. I too fell in love with it and thus far have not purchased it. I am really looking forward to seeing you finish jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda I'm determined that the jacket is going to be a success. Working hard toward it.

      Delete
  6. Cute jacket pattern and looking forward to the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. I'll let you know when it's finished.

      Delete
  7. Presents to oneself are always the best! You can never go wrong... :D
    Faye, you made the right choice, using tayloring technics for this one. I´ve seen the collarless-machine- buttonholes version and it is not the same thing!
    So looking forward to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Merche. I was really trying to talk myself into doing machine worked buttonholes but I felt they would not do justice to the jacket. So bound buttonholes it will be.

      Delete
  8. This must be jacket January because I feel like making a jacket too. I'll do some light tailoring on my jacket and save the hand stitching for another coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light tailoring - that's my problem. I can never stop myself once I get started. I always want to add another technique, then another...

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see your version Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either Candice. Trying not to let it take me a month to finish it.

      Delete
  10. Lovely jacket, can't wait to see the completed project. Please let us know how you fair with a digital pattern. I have never used one myself, so watching and waiting to see how it turns out for our fearless leader ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure that I let you know about the pattern. Fearless leader - not so much! I'm quite often shaking in my boots over here (lol).

      Delete
  11. So proud you got your self the lovely coat pattern for your present.. Can't wait to see it.. Happy sewing.. and I just know your tailoring will come out fantastic..Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god Faye, this is going to be an amazing jacket! I incorporated the minimum tailoring in the instructions (bound buttonholes and machine alternative, welt pockets, fusible interfacing, shoulder pads) so that it would be easier for a beginner/intermediate seamstress but your way is definitely the one I hoped at least one person would choose! I can definitely see the difference between my more tailored version (burgundy one) and the light blue coat (collarless and machine buttonholes).
    I can't wait to see the results! I hope you'll have a great time sewing the Ninot jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauline! I'm trying to do your jacket justice.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous7/11/2016

    Beautiful top, I would wear it out! It all comes down to great pattern making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw your comment Fernie - so sorry! And yes this was a marvelous pattern. I love my Ninot Jacket!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...