September 14, 2014

TODAY'S INSPIRATION BROUGHT TO YOU BY...

...I like to give credit to inspiration sources.  In doing so today, I was reminded of a question from one of the chapters I taught recently...
(paraphrased)"Where can inspiration be found?
A)Movies
B)TV
C)Magazines
D)Videos
E) A person on the street
F)All of the above

ANSWER:  (F)  All of the above.  Inspiration can come from anywhere, at any time.   —Anything, anywhere—can spark the creative process." (Milady's Standard Cosmetology)

Of course, this statement refers to hair design; but it also applies to finding inspiration for sewing.  I constantly get inspiration from other bloggers and the eye-popping designs they make.  Today's inspiration - brought to you by Goodbye Valentino and a skirt she made last Fall that I wanted to make mine, or rather make for myself.

Vogue 8750

This bag contained a stable houndstooth knit that has been in stash residence for at least four years.  When purchased I thought it would become a skirt and jacket to be worn as a suit - which, on second thought would have been way too houndstoothy for me.  I started with 4 1/4 yds and this project probably took less than 1 yard.  There's plenty enough left for yet another garment.  The leather for my project was also taken from a thrifted skirt.

This weekend was dedicated to completing the skirt - which I did sans the leather part of the hem.  I had to use metal clips as well as jumbo paper clips to hold this project together while constructing it.
I'll go looking for leather glue or contact cement for the leather part of the hem tomorrow.

I underlined all non-leather pattern pieces.     

Front View

Side View

Back View
 Although not a100% complete it's finished enough that I won't classify it a UFO.  I can safely move on to a third Fall 2014 project.


Leather glue/contact cemen
Leather glue/contact cemen

24 comments:

  1. Great looking skirt! I love this pattern,I have made three skirts using it. It is my TNT skirt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your reviews before I started the skirt. Yours look fab Linda.

      Delete
  2. Like what I see so far. Can't wait to see the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, Faye! I loves me some houndstooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love houndstooth too L. Especially mixed with red or mustard.

      Delete
  4. You'll really enjoy wearing this I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so too Rhonda - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this skirt...but I'm a houndstooth kinda of girl. I'm already styling it in my head...thinking a red turtleneck with black boots, oh the options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to pair it with a red sweater Diane.

      Delete
  7. Faye, your skirt is gorgeous. I love how it looks and you will look fabulous in it. I found some clips at Joann's notion section if you ever need more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori and thanks for the tip on where to get more clips.

      Delete
  8. This will quickly become a favourite in your wardrobe ~ great sewing (as always) ... J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing says Fall is here quite like houndstooth! Great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, love houndstooth! And congrats to you Clio!

      Delete
  10. Very nice! I can understand "too much houndstooth". Sometimes I'll buy a lot of some fabric and then later wonder what I was thinking. And now you can make other skirts from it at a later date, if the mood moves you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Marjie, I'm considering making an all houndstooth pencil skirt - no color blocking.

      Delete
  11. Oh a really great skirt Faye! I can't wait for you to pair it with a nice red sweater and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, I know I can't wait either. Thanks Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good Miss Faye...looking real good! Don't you love it when inspiration pays off big! I think I need a "houndstoothy" suit...I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the look of this! What a fab skirt.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...