September 8, 2014

HAPPINESS RETURNED...

...yes my sewing motivation returned this weekend.  Yep, out of the blue it just showed up.  And if she could talk I think the conversation would have gone something like this...

ME:  Oh sweetie there you are!  Where in the world have you been?
HER:  Oh, just out and about.
ME:  Well I really did miss you, and this time I couldn't even force you to come back.  And you stayed away soooo long.   I'm really glad you're here though, things are just not the same without you.  Come here, give me a little hug!
HER:  Enough of the mushy stuff, let's get to work.
ME:  Alrighty then, but next time don't you dare stay away so long. Mama really missed you!
I bought a slightly ribbed knit off Hancock's bargain flat-fold table earlier this summer at a scrumptious price.  And although the weather was hot as all get out at the time, I knew just what I'd use it for.  I love a great garnet colored fabric for fall, and when I saw it I instantly thought of the black knit dress I made from Vogue 8939 last fall (Reference this post).
So since (you know who came back) we were able to whip up another one this past weekend.
I underlined the back and front pieces of the dress with black tricot.  Had I taken the time to look at the black dress I would have just added a free hanging lining and saved myself a whole lot of time.  I also altered the pattern just a little at the neckline and decreased the width of the collar by 2 1/4" and it feels much more comfortable. 
Found just enough 1/4" twill tape to stabilize the shoulder seams - its just the right width for shoulder seams.  It's so hard to find 1/4" twill tape in our stores here.  I really need to track some down via the internet.  Maybe I could buy it in a big roll.
So I had a really nice sewing weekend.  I'm so glad happiness has returned, and hope she stays for a very long time...


28 comments:

  1. Faye - I'm so thrilled that your sewing mojo has come home from it's extended vacation! I know you are so happy now. Second, you can get twill tape by the roll in several sizes from Wawak. I have it in black and white in the 1/2" size in a 25 yard roll and it wasn't very expensive at all! Third, great new dress! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I am really thrilled that my friend is back. And thanks, Wawak is just the information that I need. I'll look into it tonight!

      Delete
  2. I'm thrilled to hear the mojo returned to you - may you both enjoy each others company for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress, glad that your mojo is back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I hate when the mojo runs away. Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like when a cat disappears for a week. You're worried sick and then she returns home and acts like nothing happened. :)
    Look at you with your two new dresses!
    I'm loving your butterflies btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT to have you back....and your dresses are outstanding....I can see them fashioned with beautiful scarves and boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I think I'm really going to enjoy wearing it.

      Delete
  7. Woo hoo, Faye is back and she has a fabulous trendy garnet dress to show for it! I am so happy the sewing mojo has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the return of your mojo girl! Does she have a sister out there I can meet cause I'm really missing mine! These dresses are really nice and will be good staple pieces for your Fall wardrobe. Hope you keep her around for a while.
    Cecil at SewItFits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does have many sisters but they all seem to take unexpected hikes from time to time.

      Delete
  9. What a nice surprise--the lady returning!! You two made a lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice-to be together again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yaaaaaaay Mojo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back Faye, I really missed you. I love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, such pretties! And I'm a fan of 1/4" twill tape as well. When I can find it, I buy all I can get :-) Cannot wear elastane tape, allergic, so I love the twill. Hope your mojo stays for a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news! Its always good news when the mojo returns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh em gee Miss Faye! I love me some knit dresses! These are FABULOUS. I bet they'll be warm and fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love knit everything too Terri.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...