December 6, 2009


ANYTIME I venture into experimenting with a new pant pattern I have to make a muslin. I guess gone is the day when I can just look at a pattern's size and say "yes, this will work". That being said, I continue my search of the pant pattern that requires very few alterations. Since I have joined the new Month of Pants sew-a-long I've decided to give this slightly vintage Simplicity pattern a try. What constitutes Vintage anyway? I think I like this pattern because it has so few pieces (6 total), opposed to the last pants pattern I used that had almost 5 pieces just for the pockets. For me that just was not practical. I need as few pieces as possible, minimal alterations and a great fit. Is that too much to ask for???

I cut the pattern straight out of the envelope with only one change - increased the back seam allowance 1". I got that idea from using Simplicity 2700. I used a 5/8" seam when sewing it, so I guess that means that I added 1" to the back seam - right (There goes that math again!); baby's got back you know! This pattern was printed in 1978, and although it's multi-sized (included 3 sizes) there was no change or difference in the crouch curve printed on the pattern. I thought this was strange, but if it works - great.

I went ahead and put the zipper in this muslin and even pressed it after getting it together to get a better idea of how the pants would look.

I do hate trying to take pictures of myself, but hopefully they will help me determine if this pattern is a go or not by allowing me to look at different views of the fit. The pictures are awful but here goes.

All in all I think the fit is pretty good. I'm going to try it on again and sit around in it for a while to get more of a feel for them. I might take them in just a tad in the side and back seams. What do you think???????????? Yes or No? I will be pulling that David Coffin Pants book off the shelf for this.


  1. Hi Faye,

    I think the pants fit okay but it's quite difficult to see from the small pictures. I'm wondering if you can link to a bigger picture, if possible.
    Finding a good pants pattern is hard but if you can get a pattern that fits well you can pretty much design any kind of pant you like from that one pattern.

  2. Hi!
    There is a giveaway on my blog.
    To participate click the link on the post "Ugg Boot giveaway"!

  3. Looks like you have a great pattern and did a good job on fit.

  4. Pants are often difficult to fit, so if you feel the fit on these pants is good, give yourself a reward. And also-enjoy wearing the pants!

  5. I'm not done my own pants yet so, I'm not really a good one to give advice. But I stopped tweaking the muslin once they felt comfy and wearable. Good luck with yours. I think they look good so far.

  6. Look's like you're off to a great start. I'm still afraid to attempt pants. I'd probably get one pair out of the sew-along. Good luck!

  7. The pants fit really well. Remember that when you're sewing them in fabric, it usually is a little thicker, so it may take up some of the extra room. I agree about taking pictures of yourself, I've pretty much given up, which is why my pictures are all on Vera these days.




  • Pants Sewing Guide
  • Denim Revolution
  • Pants for Real People
  • Jackets for Real Peopls
  • Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring - Palmer & Pletsch - Gifted
  • The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook
  • Ribbon Crafts
  • Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
  • Successful Serging
  • Making Trousers for Men and Women
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Singer - Perfect Plus
  • Cool Couture
  • Couture, The Fine Art of Sewing
  • Singer Sewing Reference Library - Tailoring - GIFTED
  • The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns - Creative Publishing International
  • Fit for Real People
  • DK-The Complete Book of Sewing