August 27, 2010

MAGAZINES & COMMITMENT...

I use to be a magazine junkie! I love them, and one might say I sort of horded them too. But for the sake of eliminating clutter, I can't even begin to tell you how many I tossed out. And after having repeated talks with myself about seriously cutting back on magazine purchases/subscriptions, I rarely buy any at all now, not even many fashion magazines. They just don't seem to turn me on like they use to. However, there is one magazine that I look for each and every year. This one
I've had it since Monday, and I still have not finished leafing through it.

Now about the commitment part: I really did try to talk myself out of it...Gertie's Lady Gray Sew-Along that is. I've seen this coat made up by several people and love it more and more each time I see it. So when I saw that she started this coat sew along, and after much contemplation, I ordered the Lady Gray pattern. As a matter of fact, it shipped today.

So why did I try to talk myself out of it? Well, since my sewing has been a little bit stagnated for the past several months, I really and truly I simply do not know what project(s) I want/need to work on first. In addition, the pattern is rated ADVANCED. Although I don't put myself in the advanced category, I do think I can make it. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew, nor do I want a pattern that I might have to fight with. Colette patterns are new to me, and you know how it can be when you are so use to sewing only from the big 4 - sort of intimidating to say the least. So why did I go ahead and commit/purchase the pattern??? I'll explain my rational/self argument here:

  • I did commit to the "Go Chanel or Go Home" challenge this time last year, and did complete it - on schedule I might say
  • Because I really do like the style of the coat
  • The Lady Gray coats that I've seen made up are GORGEOUS
  • Even if I don't sew it during the sew along, I might sew it one day
  • I'd hate to get locked out of another coat sew along and not be able to reap a wealth of information from a whole lot of knowledgeable sewists
  • Get the pattern while its available at a 5% discount, at least that pays for the shipping
Now that the commitment has been made and the pattern is on the way, I'm officially placing The Lady Gray sew along label on my blog.


We'll just see what happens next...


10 comments:

  1. Oh, Faye, you enabler, you! I have that pattern and want to sew it as well. I have *so* many things in queue right now! I will join the sew along with you. I may not finish, but at least I can follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go for it, lady! Did you know that the powers that be are considering building an interstate from up here near me to down there near you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun doing the sew-along! I am just finishing up a trench coat, so probably won't do the Lady Grey coat...not to mention, I have a million coats already! But I will be following along to see what everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren8/28/2010

    I don't think you should have anything to worry about. For me, I find the big 4 harder b/c I have more fit issues and the directions aren't always the best way to do things. Can't wait to see your progess with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! Not only am I sure you will do your best to sew along, I am confident you will select some amazing fabric and create a coat you will love for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8/30/2010

    I really enjoy your blog; it's very inspiring! I primarily make quilts and also clothes for my young niece. I had an idea for a post you could do if you ever need an idea (or maybe you already have blogged about this in which case I apologize if I missed it!). I can see that to take the "next step" in sewing and make my garments look more professional, I need to make the inside look as good as the outside. I know you have talked about the importance of this, but I would love it if I could get some tips on how to do that. The pattern instructions that typically come with your basic Simplicity or whatever pattern just don't really tell you how to do this. E.g. some ways to finish and/or make seams, hems, etc. Anyway, thanks for all the interesting pics and info you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/30/2010

    I really enjoy your blog; it's very inspiring! I primarily make quilts and also clothes for my young niece. I had an idea for a post you could do if you ever need an idea (or maybe you already have blogged about this in which case I apologize if I missed it!). I can see that to take the "next step" in sewing and make my garments look more professional, I need to make the inside look as good as the outside. I know you have talked about the importance of this, but I would love it if I could get some tips on how to do that. The pattern instructions that typically come with your basic Simplicity or whatever pattern just don't really tell you how to do this. E.g. some ways to finish and/or make seams, hems, etc. Anyway, thanks for all the interesting pics and info you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for taking on a challenge! I really need a new mid-weight coat before it gets cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ordered my Lady Grey pattern, too! It is a beautiful coat and I hope the sew-along (my first ever!) inspires me to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a movie recently (Head in the Clouds), and in one scene the female lead was wearing an orange coat similar to this. While I'm no fan of orange, the style was sensational, and so flattering! I'm looking to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...