August 30, 2010

THE LADY ARRIVES...


Lady Gray made her way to my mailbox today. Boy that was fast shipping! I couldn't wait to tear into that envelope and have a look at the instructions for the coat. The instructions are actually in a little book form - cute. I read the entire book, and even studied the layout for cutting. The pattern is rated advanced. That rating still intimidates me a little, but I've already committed so I do plan to see this through to completion - God willing.
Mmmm, 14 pattern pieces, not unlike most jackets. Some separate lining pieces; I heard (or read somewhere) that separate lining pieces are a sign of a good pattern. The only thing that I see that might slow me down a little is the two piece sleeve construction. I'll just pull my best sewing references (off the shelf and read up on two piece sleeve construction before I even start on the project.

I REALLY wanted to do the coat in winter white, but knew that wouldn't be practical for me. I thought about black, but not knowing a lot about wool flannel thought that would involve a lot of de-linting. I need to step out of my box just a little, and although purple is not my favorite color I saw a gorgeous shade of fabric online so I consulted my sewing buddy Lisa for her thoughts on it. To quote her "this is going to be a signature piece so it should be somewhat out of your norm - I think you should go for it!" So I ordered this fabric from Denver Fabrics today @ $7.95 per yd regularly $22.00. I also see that Pantone includes a Purple Orchid in their Fall color palette.

Tim Gunn, Chief Creative Officer for Liz Claiborne Inc., and mentor for Bravo’s “Project Runway” offers this advice about adding pops of color to a wardrobe: “Don’t shy away from color. Color is not only a great and budget conscious way to update your wardrobe, it is a wonderful pick-me up." He also gives a couple of tips to keep in mind when shopping for color:
• Color reads best in quality fabrics, hues appear richer and more vibrant in fine wools, cottons and silks. I am a firm believer that if you invest in a few good pieces now,
you will benefit for years to come.

• Be mindful when choosing color. You can’t just admire the color of a garment on a hanger or on your friend, the color must be right for you. Your skin-tone and hair color both come into play. If you like a color and you are unsure, my advice — try it on!”

Next I need to search for just the right lining and buttons for the project. I'm off now to see what I can find...

21 comments:

  1. I agee with Lisa and love the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a great sew-along and perfect fabric choice. i cant wait to see how it turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're joining the sew-along, Faye! I think that purple will be gorgeous. Don't fret about the construction; I don't think you will have a problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Faye, love the fabric choice. I also ordered this pattern last night am waiting for it's arrival. Not sure whether I will join the sew along yet. Go for it. If not, I will certainly follow those participating. Go For IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can make a jacket you can make a coat. You'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are going to join this sew along too! I have picked up a lot of tips from your posts :)

    I like the purple you have chosen. I also considered white and then went for a red for the same reasons you have run through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabric choice! You will do fine with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the color! I had no I idea Pantone had a fashion color report ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be such a pretty coat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! Hehe... I'm still looking for the perfect winter white! Maybe... I should just go with a color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhhhh..... a purple coat!!! I want one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous and will look great on you. I made a winter white coat earlier in the year and it was a mistake. You'll have loads of fun choosing linings and buttons. My mind is working already and it's not even my fabric! Can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous color!! Looking forward to watching your progress...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always in favor of bright colors! That is a gorgeous purple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I told ya so.Your gonna look good in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great fabric choice Faye! Good luck with your coat... You will done just fine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you sooo much for being my long-time follower. You are so very sweet, and I am very flattered. And thanks so much for adding me to your blog roll. I am honored to add you to mine. You have an amazing blog.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also wanted to add that purple is my favorite color. I will be watching your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a beautiful purple. A paisley in any color would be a wonderful lining, maybe with a cream background? I agree that color is a great attitude and spirit lifter. I sewed a number of red garments earlier this summer (I really must do a summer recap), and on cloudy days I go looking for red or yellow to cheer me (and hubby) up! I'm looking forward to following your progress on this beautiful coat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm..., you can handle the "advance" sewing rating. Of course, with no problem. Remember, you made a chanel jacket. Your fabric is beautiful. Great deal on the price.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm thrilled to see we're in this together! Thank you for your lovely comment. Can't wait to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...