|Pamela's Patterns #109|
I usually do not make pants or skirts with elastic waistbands; however this pattern intrigued me - so I just had to have it. I think it's a great pattern.. The way the pattern is drafted is what I love. The skirt is pegged perfectly. I made the regular skirt (above right), and according to my measurements - the medium size (which automatically made me happy). The skirt would have probably only taken me about an hour from start to finish, but you know me - I had to make some changes.
I used a print stripped ponte de roma from Hancocks. I've found that after washing the print ponte de roma the texture of the fabric changes leaving it a much lighter weight than the solid colors. It just does not hold it's body. Because of this, I decided to underline the skirt just to add a little weight to the fabric. I used a black jet set knit as underlining and after pinning it to my fabric, hand stitched it to the seam allowances of my fashion fabric. The hand stitching was time consuming, but worked so much better than stitching by machine. I picked up Gertie's book this weekend and used her tip about catch stitching the seam allowances to the underlining. Yep more time consuming hand stitching, (but at least there were only two seams) making Skirt Number 2 a real labor of love. Adding this step will keep my seam allowance stable preventing it from ending up all "willy nilly" after washing.
The next skirt will be a Vera Wang knockoff - it's was prepped and cut on "New Project Sunday"...
|Hand stitching seam allowance to underlining.|
|The stars in this stripe remind me of snow flakes|
|Two for the Carnival - The Parade is growing!!!|