January 24, 2016

KICKING STASH WEEK 3...

...the first three weeks of the year have really flown by - wasn't it just Christmas!  This week's Stash Kicking assignment was all about pants.  I really thought I was going to have bail this week, because I just wasn't feeling making pants, not even with my good old TNT pattern.  But when I found out that anything that split and had legs qualified I was able to pull it off by making my favorite leggings.

I literally LIVE in leggings during the winter months, especially if they are comfty and cozy.

McCall's 6173 
 I made View c from this patterns a few years ago and we are still in love with each other.  I wanted to make others and this was the perfect opportunity.
The pair on the left are made from a soft light weight sweater knit that I got from Girl Charlie a couple of years ago; and on the right a stretchy azetecy value fabric from Hancock.  I used the same serged elastic waistband treatment that I used on my skirts last week.  I also got the bright idea that the leggings could be hemmed using the waistband treatment as well.  The results:  a cuff like hem that I really like- who knew???

I actually thought I'd also get a pair of TNT slacks completed today but changed my mind because I didn't want to do a rush job.  I used 1 3/4 yard of stash per pair for a grand total of 3 1/2 yards used (if my math is correct).  Me and fractions never could see eye to eye.

The 4th and last week of the Kicking Stash challenge starts at midnight - Week 4 will be all about outer wear and or accessories.  Care to guess what I'll be making???

8 comments:

  1. Your leggings look great! Quick question what is the waistband method you used for hemming your leggings?

    Thanks Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa the waistband treatment is for elastic waist pants or skirts, BUT I used the same method to hem my leggings - it's the same method but minus the elastic. It made my leggings look like I had added a cuff.

      Here is a you tube video turorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1FqoNDvc8c

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Tasha I'm contemplating a non structured boxy coat either Vogue 1479 or or Simplicity 1067. Something non-tailored and unstructured that I can possibly get finish in one week.

      Delete
  3. Great leggings - practical and fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love leggings they keep me warm and we've been having some really cold days and nights here.

      Delete
  4. They both look really great! I would say the ones on the left are my favourite, although I love them both. I've just bought a sewing machine from Sewing Makes Me Happy and can't wait to get started making leggings like these as well as other clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute legging and interesting fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...