2013 ESSENTIAL TOPS SEW-A-LONG FINISHED PROJECTS

July 25, 2011

LESSON LEARNED...

When I attempted my last pair of custom made pants, I altered my dat gumn TNT pattern; you know the one:
  •  just slightly younger than Methuselah Simplicity 8707 printed in 1978
  • the one I found at the antique shop
  • the one that cost me only $.49
  • the one I've used successfully for over a year now
  • the one I was working on when Gwen told me how to eliminate wrinkling across the front


you know, trying to make a good thing just a wee bit better.  Well, the results were terrible!  I never posted them because I experienced a sick feeling prior to snatching out my zipper and depositing them in the trash out by the side of the road.



I know that there are hundreds thousands of pants patterns out there - shucks, half of them are located in my pattern cabinet(s).   I know that if I work at it I can make another pattern fit me just as well - but I don't really have the time to do that right now (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

The only positive part of this story is - I did have sense enough to trace the pattern

so the original one is still intact (however a little tattered).  So I'm still in business and tonight I'm in the process of reinforcing the original with iron on interfacing to help it last a little longer.  I'll trace it just as it is when I get some extra Saturday time.


Moral of this story:   leave well enough alone Faye!  In the words of Anthony from Project Runway Season 8, "Da_m, lesson learned".

Have you learned any valuable sewing lessons lately???

13 comments:

  1. That is a terribly hard lesson to learn! Sorry you had to go through all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can definitely sympathize with you! So glad you still have the original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just taught me a valuable lesson. I also am glad you have the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man i need to start tracing my patterns because you know I will change a pattern in a minute. Either that or buy two of the same pattern if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you had a bad wadder, I know how fustrating that can be. In fact, I'm having my own pant fiasco right now so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts are a "stitch"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pants can be challenging!

    As for valuable lessons, I just had an epiphany regarding FBA's... that I actually need to do them on some patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! You literally kicked the pants to the curb!?!?!? LOL. Oh, Faye, we've ALL been there with pants.

    I recently learned the merits of not over-fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont think there is anything wrong with having one pants pattern that fits. That's all I have and I make the alterations to it (changing the leg sizes as I go!) Glad you preserved your original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always trace my pattern first and make adjustments to that. The reason...I like to change the style a bit too and if I mess up, I can always go back to the original! (just like you did this time!) Of course I didn't do that the first time...that was my lesson learned!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be going around, you'll do fine on your next project. I just say it's God's way of keeping us humble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes we just have to try new things - it may not work out but that just means that we appreciate what we first had all the more. Hang on to that precious TNT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya about altering a TNT by mistake. Been there done that. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

BOOKS ACQUIRED

  • Pants Sewing Guide
  • Denim Revolution
  • Pants for Real People
  • Jackets for Real Peopls
  • Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring - Palmer & Pletsch - Gifted
  • The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook
  • Ribbon Crafts
  • Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
  • Successful Serging
  • Making Trousers for Men and Women
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Singer - Perfect Plus
  • Cool Couture
  • Couture, The Fine Art of Sewing
  • Singer Sewing Reference Library - Tailoring - GIFTED
  • The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns - Creative Publishing International
  • Fit for Real People
  • DK-The Complete Book of Sewing