June 18, 2012

LETTUCE HEMMING...

...I had originally left both of my Mission Maxi dresses unhemmed to avoid the waviness that sometimes occurs when hemming knits.  But today after seeing this tutorial on Pinterest that illustrated an easy method for lettuce hemming I thought I'd give it a try.  I'd never used lettuce method for a hem finish before, both because both dresses are a bit casual I thought it quite suitable. Besides, both dresses were so long that I figured I could cut it right off if I didn't like the results...
New Lettuce hems of both dresses
Guess what -  I do like the end result so I'll be keeping it for both dresses.

DOES MACHINE HEMMING TWO DRESSES A SEWING SESSION MAKE???

9 comments:

  1. Of course it makes a sewing session! A sewing session with two finished objects to show for it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see these finished! I also like seeing how people use tutorials. I'm always a bit skeptical since I've had a few tutorials not work out so well.

    Hope you are feeling better! I'm still suffering and heading back to the dr. Sigh. Sciatica. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/19/2012

    super cute! I often use a lettuce hem on knits because hemming them the "normal" way never turns out pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to learn how to do this, sure makes a cute treatment. Great info, Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this lettuce hem idea. I definitely have to try this tutorial on stretch knit pieces. ;) This is so cool.

    Also, thanks for visiting my blog, You Like It? I Made It!, and leaving such awesome comments. I would love to do a mini interview as part of your feature. Just let me know what you need me to do. Regarding patterns, sometimes I use pieces of different ones to create the designs I make. Let me know which piece in particular you want to know about and I can update you on how I made it. ;)

    Thanks for the follow too. Following you now too. ;)

    http://youlikeitimadeit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must try this I've always wanted to. Nice finish on the dresses and yes, hemming 2 dresses makes a sewing session.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Machine hemming absolutely counts! You now have 2 dresses that you didn't have before, and that makes it a highly successful sewing session! Plus, you have a new hemming technique you can use on lots of other pretty dresses and tops (and I know they will all be pretty...it's how you do it)!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...