March 29, 2010

THE FIRST DRESS OF SUMMER...




I know, it's barely spring and I'm already proclaiming summer. I'm in the mood for easy to wear, flowy, breathable summer dresses. Even though there is still a slight chill in the air I thought I'd better get started. I have visions of all kinds of dresses; pretty printed cotton ones, colorful knit ones, long ones, short ones just dresses. I even want a shirt waist dress. This is so unlike me. You might have guessed that I love
Not that I shop there often at all, but their commercials draw me in. So whimsical and funny. Last year I made a special trip there just to see the modelkins, "Kim them". So I do window shop there and every once and a while find something that I do have to buy because it is at a ridiculously low price. This year Old Navy is featuring skirts as well as dresses for summer and I love them all. Probably won't make a purchase, but I can steal ideas and come away with lots of easy, breezy inspiration.

Last year it was their Town Gowns that inspired me. This year they are calling them Sundown Gowns. So let me introduce you to my rendition (even though it's only knee length) - my Sundown Gown. This, paired with some chocolate brown sandals, will be my "I need to run to the grocery store"; or "I need to shoot out to Hancock's real quick to pick up a zipper" dress. I can look neat with little effort and remain cool in temperatures that are sure to reach the 100's in just a few months.

My dress form does my garment no justice. She has, what my Mother would call, bow hips and for the life of me I cannot adjust them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll get one of better quality. Anyways, I've started my second summer dress and will be posting it soon....

P.S. Oh, I forgot to tell you.... I made this dress from New Look 6785 and it was all a mistake! I took one look at the pattern envelope and surmised that it was for a knit. Never even looked at fabric suggestions made by the pattern company. I was so disappointed in myself, but I was not about to waste one of my first NY fashion district fabrics. After I got this fabric home last summer I was overwhelmed by the size of the butterflies on this chocolate brown knit. I said, "what in the world was I thinking to buy this big print", mind you I also bought it in another color so you will be seeing the print again. I didn't discover that the pattern was sized for knits until after I had cut the fashion fabric. Egad! But Ebony consoled me by saying "you can make up a knit using a woven pattern but not vice versa". Well she was right it turned out great! Moral of the story: I NEED TO MAKE SURE I STOP AND READ THE PATTERN ENVELOPE!

26 comments:

  1. I adore this dress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a summer dress girl, no matching of tops & bottoms just effortless dressing. I love your dress, the butterflies are lovely. What pattern did you use? It looks familiar, I bet I have that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress. I like the od navy commercials too! I am liking the Arty Cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! Perfect for looking pulled together in a jiffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faye - it's lovely! It looks like the perfect dress for summer. I'm always attracted to butterfly prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great dress. I love a loose dress in the summer. Nothing cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I just say.... envious? of your jump on summer? Lovely frock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just beautiful! I LOVE the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress and the print! You'll be cool & cute when running errands this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress looks fabulous! Great job! Hehe... thanks for the reminder to look at the pattern details. I forget to look there, too, and sometime I'm disappointed. Glad it worked out for you. I love the print of the fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulostic...lol. I love the print, and the dress will be fun to wear with sandals...Have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a perfect casual, summer dress. I really like the butterfly fabric. I am also consoled to know that I am not the only person who sometimes doesn't read as carefully as she should! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Sundown Gown - the fabric is gorgeous and it turned out looking wonderful. I, too, love Old Navy. We don't have one in the UK but whenever I'm in NYC I always shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3/30/2010

    Faye I love your dress. Perfect for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your dress. It looks cool and perfect for summer. I could do with a dress like this! What was the other colour you purchased? Are you going to make a different style with this fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gotta love those summer dresses that you can just slip on and go. Great first dress for the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dress! I think you are so smart to start your summer sewing now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see you are off to a great start on your summer dresses. Old Navy is one of my DD's favorite stores to shop. Like you I rarely buy anything there, but this great for inspired sewing/design projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice summer dress and it looks so comfy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dress looks so summer come hither and sure it will be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress will be perfect for those hot summer days. I love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great dress! I love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice! I too can't wait for summer girl! I'm definitely a summer baby even though I was born in Feb. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is just a pretty dress...I love it. I like the looks of that pattern too....

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...