March 14, 2010

THE EXPO'S A WRAP...



I did make it to the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo again this year. This was my third year and I was just as excited about going as I was the first. This year it was just me and Ebony because Lisa had to work. We watched one of the fashion shows presented by the independent pattern companies that were at the expo and just basically spent all of our time walking the floor visiting all of the exhibits and ohhhhing and awwwwing. I didn't take a class this year although I probably should have. I forgot to take my camera with me but oh well. As many of the attenders have already reported it was mainly a quilt expo with just a little bit sprinkled here and there for garment/fashion sewers. I do love quilts and always enjoy seeing the creativity of the quilts exhibited. And quilters do have lots of notions that I can use in my garment sewing as well. It's just nice to be able to get out of town at least once a year to see different things and people.

I didn't run into any fellow bloggers this year but I was looking for you. I know that lots of people went early during the week and had already gone home by Saturday (like my buddy Brenda from Alabama). I drove almost the whole way there and Ebony drove back home. Man, that Atlanta traffic does not play around.

I got two gorgeous knit fabrics and a nice georgette from Vogue Fabrics. I got a seam presser and clapper from the wood man, a few smaller notions - (no patterns this year) and several sewing machine feet. Afterwards we made a Joann's stop where I picked up another jeweled toned knit and some nice denim with 2% lycra, one each Burda and Simplicity pattern, and 7 cones of the chocolate brown shade of serger thread that I can NEVER find around here. I wanted 8 but they only had 7.

I had to by pass Cynthia Guffey's collection of raw silk that was on sale for $21.95 rather than $31.95. All in the prettiest jewel tones I've ever seen - Boy oh boy I really wanted some of that! It was all 45" width so I had to pass on by. And then the wool people with the cashmere and wonderful herringbone tweed - had to pass on by that too.

It was a very nice trip and I really enjoyed Ebony although I am dog tired today. I need to start saving right now for next year when I go God willing...

I guess the Expo in March should be my cut off for fall/winter sewing. I don't know why I hold on so to fall/winter sewing every year. I guess I just love sewing wools and fabrics with lots of body. Although I was born at the very end of fall I am really a spring/summer type of person. You would think that I'd be in a hurry to sew for spring. The yoshino cherry, Japanese magnolia, and Bradford pear trees are all in full bud and just starting to bloom. I even saw a daffodil which is always my clue. So regardless of the temperature or what the weatherman says - Spring is officially about a week and a half away. Just call me "Nature Girl", because I know...

9 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing and glad you had a great time at the Sewing & Quilt Expo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/14/2010

    Sounds like you had a great time! I passed on a 45" silk a few weeks ago, too. It was beautiful, but...

    Spring is finally springing here in Connecticut, too. I saw snow bells today! Our daffodils are just starting to peak up out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh those Cynthia Guffy silks sound amazing...and I'm sorry you didn't get to take a class with her because she is an awesome teacher!

    Glad you had a good time though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! I'm so glad you got to go to the Expo again and that Ebony could go, too. Too bad that Lisa couldn't go. I remember the post from last year and how much fun you had. Is it in Atlanta?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great time again this year! Those silks sound like they were very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to pass a beautiful fabric by. You have more will power than me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia, I agree with Carolyn. Cynthia Guffey is a fantastic teacher. Her samples are perfection. She is a lot of fun to watch as well, and I find I like the attendees of her classes as well - fellow perfectionists, I guess. I am picky and my sewing never impresses me the way hers does.

    I am in Massachusetts, and will be at the Expo in early April. I look forward to it every year. The Wool House eats up almost every penny of my spending money. I love Love LOVE their fabrics! I have just started sewing some of the cuts I have been saving. I have been afraid to cut into it until recently.

    I can't wait to see what you make with all your new fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a fun time. Those silks sound so pretty. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...