March 4, 2010

My Jacket is complete...

My jacket is done, and that completes another suit that I actually started in January. This was the fabric I had to squeeze to make work. I used Lisa's pattern suggestion

and turns out the only thing I had to patch for lack of fabric was the sleeve ruffle. Instead of cutting one continuous cuff pattern piece, I cut two pieces from the fashion fabric. I used a french seam to sew the pieces together because the sleeve cuff is not lined - thus my patch. It turned out pretty nicely.

I also reduced the patterns amount of sleeve ease and the jacket sleeve has no puckering. I can't tell you how happy I am not having to fight with sleeve puckering.

My sewing progress was very slow this week intentionally. I slowly hand stitched the jacket, hem and sleeve lining to ensure that no pic marks occurred. I hate pic marks!

I saw a RTW jacket very similar to this one that I liked a lot so I really think I'll be making this pattern again.

I know that lots of blogger read Threads Magazine. I haven't missed an issue since discovering it in 2007. I love the magazine. My favorite sections of the magazine are: Closures because I enjoy the freelance story of the month. So many of the pieces are so familiar to me. and the back cover (Up Close) because I love devouring the detail work of the vintage pieces. When the Magazine arrives I immediately turn to these two sections and then I read the tips.
I swear I was just talking with Lisa about waistbands prior to reading Thread's tip on them in the latest issue. We discussed the exact same method. It amazed me...I just saying...

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've always shied away from these sorts of jackets, but I'm starting to look at them more favourably. I love the buttons you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so happy that you were able to get such a pretty jacket out of that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket looks great. Love the cuffs. The new Threads is out??!! Now I know what I'm picking up on Saturday at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/05/2010

    Faye, Your jacket is lovely. I've been a bit shy of making those jackets because I'm not sure how they would look on me but seeing yours has made me re-think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I love this jacket! It looks like it will wear fabulously along with the pants. I am so happy you used th ruffle on lthe sleeve and can't wait to see it in person. Oooh the joys of sewing buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this jacket. I keep thinking of making something similar, but I haven't got there yet. The fabric is really great, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jacket looks good. You've had a string of winners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful jacket! The fabric is lovely, such a beautiful shade that will complement so many outfits. I love those wonderful ruffles on the sleeves, well done with the patching together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful jacket and great buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great jacket! The color will be wonderful for springtime, and the shape is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That jacket is maybe my favorite, yet!!! I say maybe, because you've made so many fabulous jackets, including that Chanel Jacket on your side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! The cuffs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hiya Faye . . I made this jacket also .. but I made mine without the pockets, one fabric button on top and about 6 inches longer (my comfort zone) but unfortunately have not finished it . . been hanging in my closet for a good 6 months now .. having a hard time lining the sleeve, for some reason it just isn't fitting right .. but yours is beautiful . . and I do love the style! .. Karol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I'm so glad you were able to make your jacket and have a suit! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great jacket Faye and now you have a beautiful suit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful jacket! And wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The jacket looks great. I am glad to hear it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an adorable jacket! Those big buttons really give it oomph.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful. I love the sleeves and the buttons are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love love your jacket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this is a great looking jacket. Hope to to a pic with you wearing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. DARLING jacket!!!!! How did I miss this one?

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great jacket - I'm so glad you were able to make it work out!

    I just signed up for my Threads subscription and I'm pretty excited about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...