March 6, 2010

I MUST GO AHEAD AND ADMIT......

that I have been coveting these tops made by Jazz Couture as her entry in Pattern Review's wardrobe contest (which by the way she won the coveted second place prize). Maybe it was the colors of her two tops that grabbed my attention. Or, maybe it was the simple but elegant design lines of the top. I don't know, but they were heavy on my mind for a while, and have just recently popped back up.

The possibilities of me getting my hands on a copy of La Mia Boutique 09-2008-8 are very slim, so I am searching for patterns to use in my morphing attempt. Here's the line drawing - so simple, but elegant. I'm in love with it! The bodice of the the design is a simple "V" - not a overlap that creates a "V". I have lots of patterns that overlap, but only a few with a definite "V". For some reason the line drawing gives the look of a woven fabric, but it's a knit.
Here's a pattern I picked out for the "V" neckline.

Or maybe this midriff could be made into V neckline.
The top has a shirred midriff. I've can't remember ever doing any shirring, but I think I've found a pattern that will provide that information for me.

I choose this vintage pattern for the neckband and front tie. Even though it's for a woven, I think it will work for a knit.



This will be a true Frankenstein design. Does anyone have a simpler idea for doing this????

17 comments:

  1. You're right, those are lovely tops. Now I wanna make them. Sometimes you are a bad influence Faye! (tee hee.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt that you can morph anyone or a combination of these patterns into that top. I love the design too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you can do this, it's really a lovely design....Go for it and I wish good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/06/2010

    The much-maligned Vogue 2912 blouse pattern also has a variation with this very collarband bow thingy.

    Sounds like a good challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like B5243 would be a great start for your knockoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a brave woman, Faye! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. It's a great top. I think there is a BWOF top with a similar sleeve and a V neck and I think it might be from Sept 08. I will check when I get home tonight because I bought some purple knit for the pattern and need to get it out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/07/2010

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite the project, finding pieces to combine to make that top. But I am sure you will make something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no better ideas but I can see why you're coveting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved her wardrobe, too! Very cute top... I'm not well versed on mashing patterns... I've never tried it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok trouble maker, what do you think of this pattern as a start? I really like Jazz Couture's La Mia Boutique version without the shirring. I could redraft a sleeve, widen the bottom, and adjust the ties.

    http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/35824

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have this pattern yet, but I think I'm gonna get it. I've never used a Jalie pattern either, and I think it might be time. This one has gotten some good reviews on Pattern Review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Faye, for your comment. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think the 2nd to the last one will be a good starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Faye!
    I made that La Mia Boutique top during the Month of tops and it is a wonder. I can trace it for you if you want and send the pattern. Just tell me the size...And, did you get to find a pattern for the Chanellish bag? If not, the offer is still on for that as well. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. I visited Jazz Couture and the blouses are very pretty. I don't have any ideas that would help, but definitely know that you will make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those all look like great starting points. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really admire the projects you have sewn and they really look great on you. You have selected some excellent patterns and fabrics that flatter your body.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...