2013 ESSENTIAL TOPS SEW-A-LONG FINISHED PROJECTS

May 22, 2011

LAST WEEK'S RE-CAP/THIS WEEK'S HAPPENINGS ...

Last Week
  • What do you do when your week just does not go as planned?
Roll with the punches!  And that's just what I did.  I had so very many sewing plans for last week, but none materialized.  I worked three nights and by the time I arrived home at night - all sewing inspiration had taken flight.

THIS WEEK
  • Guess what y'all...tweet, tweet.  Had to get with the program, keep up with my Grands, and stay in tune with social networking technology.  How's that for a laugh!
  •  I am currently working on my first jacket of the season, and all is going pretty well (except) yesterday I sleep/serged one of the sleeves.  Kick myself - of course I did!  Rats, I knew I should have taken that nap!  But, it is what it is, and I must sew on.  Luckily, the cut was only a little under an inch, it's located slightly on underside of the sleeve, and my thread matches so closely that I was able to zigzag the repair.  No one will notice - I'll swear if it wasn't for the little things that happen that "only we know about" all our projects would be perfect - wouldn't they?
 I knew after making this jacket last summer that Butterick 5333 would become a TNT jacket pattern. 


 

The great thing about using this pattern now is it has already been fitted.  I even saved my muslin complete with fitting notations written right on it.   Cut and go projects - PRICELESS!
Here's a picture of my progress so far.
CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE OR WHEN FABRIC WAS PURCHASED.  BUT IT IS A TAUPE TWILL THAT I FOUND IN THE CLOSET STASH IN TWO SEPARATE PIECES - JUST ENOUGH FOR A JACKET AND MATCHING PANTS.


ADDED DOUBLE TOP-STITCHED, LINED FAUX POCKET FLAP. 

SERGER BO-BO! - PRE-PRESSING.  MAYBE PRESSING WILL FLATTEN IT OUT MORE?
 I'll be lining the jacket this time rather than hong-kong finishing all of the princess seams.  I also added a back stay, and front shoulder support (per my tailoring books) to give the fabric a little more umph.   This jacket will be paired with matching pants from my TNT pants pattern that's been working out pretty good for me.

  • STAY TUNED FOR AN UPCOMING NEW SEWING CHALLENGE...I'm so excited about it!  You won't want to miss this one.
  • Hope all sews well for you all this week...

10 comments:

  1. So what's the link to your twitter account? Did you want sewing followers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jacket! I'll bet no one will notice the boo-boo (it is exactly the kind of thing that I do!).

    If you post a link to your Twitter account, I'll follow you.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I didn't know that that pattern was featured in Sew News, so I am going to check it out ASAP! ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! So many truths! You are REALLY making me want to make a jacket! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great jacket pattern! Hate you had a boo-boo. We all do at times. Glad you can make a save.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Faye, I've done that kind of boo boo a time or two myself! But the jacket looks really, really nice! Can't wait to see the completed project on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did that booboo just a couple of days ago on a ruffle. I was guilty of a SWD....sewing while distracted while I was on the phone being passed around from rep to rep. Can't wait to see what the challenge is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cut and go project. Wonderful to have that. It's a very nice jacket in a color that you can wear with so many other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the booboo, the jacket is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color of that jacket! I won't tell about the serger boo-boo if you won't tell about all of mine ;-)

    Looking forward to your next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great jacket! I can't wait to hear about the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

BOOKS ACQUIRED

  • Pants Sewing Guide
  • Denim Revolution
  • Pants for Real People
  • Jackets for Real Peopls
  • Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring - Palmer & Pletsch - Gifted
  • The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook
  • Ribbon Crafts
  • Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
  • Successful Serging
  • Making Trousers for Men and Women
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Singer - Perfect Plus
  • Cool Couture
  • Couture, The Fine Art of Sewing
  • Singer Sewing Reference Library - Tailoring - GIFTED
  • The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns - Creative Publishing International
  • Fit for Real People
  • DK-The Complete Book of Sewing