May 14, 2011

MY VERY FIRST 2011 SUMMER DRESS: THE "Y" DRESS...

I did get to finish my own Vogue 8724 dress on Thursday.  I shipped the other one to my Mom on Wednesday and she received it by Wednesday.  I think you can clearly see why I call this the "Y" dress.  The pattern was easy to put together except for the front skirt pleats that need to be matched up.  I am convinced that the pattern markings are incorrect, but I still love the dress.  Even in making the dress a second time I couldn't figure them out.  This time I used two different color threads for making tailor tacks to distinguish between the small and large dot markings.  But on  both dresses I just had to go for what I knew on that part - they still turned out nicely.  The armscye and bottom hems of both dresses were serged, turned under using steam a seam, and then machine stitched.  Easy peazy when you have large areas that you want to hem evenly.  I do think this dress is figure flattering as it hides all of my bumps and rolls.


 



With the completion of this dress it's time to move forward with another project.  Problem being I don't know what to sew up next!!!  I have so many ideas and so much inspiration that it's hard to know in which direction to go.  I hate it when that happens to me...

24 comments:

  1. Cute dress and cool fabric. You are my knits hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, I'll have to try that one!! I know Mom was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very flattering dress and what a cute print !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flattering on you. Love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another flattering, fashionable dress! You are on a roll! I'll enjoy seeing what ever you decide to tackle next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dress and it looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a nice dress you have there. Love that fabric. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very flattering style and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress on you Faye! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one cute dress. I hope I sew my first summer dress soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOH there is nothing like a fresh dress hot off the sewimg machine ! I love the dress and you know I love the fabric. I wish I knew which project to tell you should be next! It is so funny that out of all of the patterns that we have , we still run into this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking dress! LOVE THE FABRIC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this pattern so I guess I have to move it up in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute Faye! What a unique fabric! Great fit too! Don't feel bad about not knowing which project to make next...I have a feeling there are a lot of "us" out there like that! *wink, wink*! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a GREAT dress! Such a great choice in fabric! Looks great on you too! I'll be glad when I can get to some summer sewing. You're making me envious....in a good way! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dress! I am starting to plan my "what next?" sewing projects, too. I'm torn between sewing for right now and sewing for summer/beach weather.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking dress. I just ordered this pattern. I wasn't sure, but something about it was so appealing. Seeing how nicely yours turned out makes me happy with my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I love the fabric print; summer here you come!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this dress! I have a hot pink patent leather clutch that would work perfectly with it. Pink is a great colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really flattering on you! I think I would be afraid of that bold of a print, but you certainly have a good eye. I love the print on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a very pretty dress! I recognize the fabric from a previous top. I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys enough of a fabric she loves to make more than one thing.

    And I'm looking forward to your June challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a unique print. It worked up into a distinctive summer dress. Love the color combination in the print too!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...