May 27, 2011

There are some really nice styles and fabric being shown over at "Stay Cool - Stitch Up a Dress".  Mmmmmm kinda getting me a little riled up and ready to sew.  So I thought I'd take just a minute to show ya'll some Pattern Love.  I've had this pattern and fabric for about a year now.  I didn't get around to making it last summer - so I think it's high time to stitch it up for this challenge.  I was in love with them then - and I'm still in love with them now.  It's  been a long term love affair (ha). 


I just love view C - the white one.  It's a princess seam, slightly flared skirt, button front dress with racer armscye.  This is only one of my "ideal" summer dress patterns, but I've decided to make this one up first since it's been on my mind for such a long time.


My vision of the Ideal summer dress is:
  • very cute
  • not too stiff or restrictive
  • not too frilly but a little whimsical 
  • and of course it's cool
I think I'll start working on a muslin for this dress this weekend.


A big "THANK YOU" to all who joined in the challenge.


SIDE NOTE:
I am a firm believer that you can find sewing notions/tools wherever you go.  I stopped by an auto parts store to buy a replacement headlight, and look what I found...an L-Square and  Triangle, and a five piece scissor set. 


Who would have thought - at a parts store...

6 comments:

  1. This dress is going to be sensational. I can't wait to see it completed!!!
    What a great find at the auto parts store!
    It's good to be back on here and seeing what you are up to.
    Is school over for this year?
    I'm going to fill in for a teacher's maternity leave this fall. Call me crazy, but I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the auto parts store! interesting. Looking forward to see your completed dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/28/2011

    hehehe, thaaat's just nothing; listen here:
    a)
    A shop selling wool, material and other arty-crafty items for mainly 'female skills' and ONE single elderly man searching around amongst little storage boxes. To my nosy inquiry of "what for..." he came up with the simple answer ".. for fishing; storing all sorts of little things and since there isn't a special shop any close by..."
    At least he knew who had similar needs and didn't hesitate feeling a very very lonely man amongst heaps of women :-) !

    b)
    Me in a special tool shop (due to being 'in tow' of my husband) suddenly ending up in front of a huuuuge plastic storage trolley (on wheels indeed) with a myriad of separate sections and drawers like heaven created them especially for arty-crafty women.
    To my husbands puzzled question to by beaming eyes of "... I don't need one, do I?" the male sales person answered in my place "... Sir, you wouldn't believe if I tell you that those trolleys sell best to women for their arty crafty 'vein' !"

    Hubby - precautionary - dragged me out in a hurry ;-) :-)

    LG
    'Echidna'

    (on company computer; no private internet access - sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to join the dress sew-a-long but with prior experience behind me, I know darn well, I won't get on done ! Will keep working on those pants instead & look forward to all the new dresses posted by all of you.

    So far Home Depot has provided me with plastic house wrap for tracing, and metal washers for pattern weights. With only those 2 purchases so far, hubby learned quick and no longer asks (or rolls his eyes at, LOL) what I look at in the hardware stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, dress pattern and fabric!! Can't wait to see them made up!! Sorry I won't be able to participate this time! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/29/2011

    @ Claire:

    :-) - LOVE fast learners of men. Congrats to your find of husband; and him for being so good in learning quick smart.

    Btw.: your ideas of what else is usable from hardware stores is brilliant; thank you a million.

    LG
    'Echidna'

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...