March 24, 2013

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT...

 WOW!  The 2013 Essential Tops Sew-a-long seems to have grown overnight. At last count there are 52 participants (if I've counted correctly).   I had planned a grande finale to showcase all the finished projects, but on second thought  I 've add an additional blog page as a place to upload  pictures as they come in.   I think this will help me keep a more accurate account of finished projects.  

Since I'm experimenting with adding new pages, I've also added a page that lists all of the sew-a-long participants.  You can view either or both pages by clicking on the tabs above.  I can't wait to see the pictures of all the finished tops on one page.

Please be sure to notify me as you finish your tops!!! 
Once again thanks to EVERYBODY for joining in.  I'll be checking all blogs as time permits this week, but need your help to keep track of all the tops.
 Please email all pictures of finished tops to me at:  fayedollatcox.net
  
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..what more is there to be said about Vogue 8815?   This is my 5th time using it.   I've turned this pattern every which way but loose.  Nothing like a TNT to get the ball rolling for me.    The pattern has already been altered so it was a snap to put together.  Well with the exception of the invisible zipper.  I'd not had the problem matching the bodice of  the other four tops, but for some reason this time I did.  I finally called it quits last night and just went to bed leaving the zipper for yet another day.

I made two minor adjustments when I first made this pattern last summer: 
  • the original pattern had too much fullness across my upper chest.  That was solved with Smoking Needles suggestion to  making a horizontal dart all the way across and tapering to nothing at the armhole.  To compensate for this adjustment the same amount had to be added to the bottom of the bodice.
  • Secondly, the original pattern front neckline was much to high for me, making it a "choke top".  I altered this by cutting (scooping out) away 1" at the center front fold and tapering to nothing further up the neckline.
Now I think the pattern fits me perfectly.   There are many other peplum top patterns available and I do plan on trying one of them (yes, there are other peplum tops in my future)  I do love this one.

 The mystery fabric is a cute floral print in black and white.  The top of course offers several no brainer outfit options  - (paired with black or white pants, or a black or white skirt).  Except there's no white skirt in my closet.  Note to self:  make a white skirt.

What's next for me, mmmmmmmm, I'm really not sure.  I think I want the next essential top made from a knit.  Nothing like a great knit top and it's been a while since I've made one so we will see.


32 comments:

  1. What a list!!! It just grows and grows - guess we all are in need of tops, tops, and more tops...love your one above. Have just relented and ordered this pattern now...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you'll be glad you ordered it Judith!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3/24/2013

    I'd like to join the Sew-a-long. april@amore-fitness.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Faye, I am a little confused - do we email you the picture of the completed top - if so, I can't find the address in the sidebar. Please advise, thanks, Sarah Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah my emai address has been added to the top of this post.

      Delete
  4. I like the print on your top; I agree it leads to a several "no brainer" outfits. Now, time to make a white skirt:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to find the perfect summer skirt pattern Karin.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful top. I loved black/white combos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh Beautiful top! FWIW, I think a Red skirt would look great paired with it! ...or green....or orange.... I love black and white prints....so many ways to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of putting it with bright colors Pam. I'll have to break out of the box.

      Delete
  7. This will be a very versatile top in your wardrobe for summer! and it's also the pattern I am
    sewing up for my first post to the sew-a-long, tho I need to make some alterations to the back on my 'muslin' before I send a pic to post....

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry I will miss this challenge :( Prom gowns and wedding alterations got me all tied up now. I can't wait to see the finished tops!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand Tee. Maybe next time.

      Delete
  9. I love the peplum top! Do you think it can be done in a denim? Or would that be too thick/heavy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a very light weight denim with a little stretch would make a nice peplum top.

      Delete
  10. Very cute top Faye, I loves me a peplum top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candice. Loved your red jacket as well.

      Delete
  11. Love this top. I hope the peplum doesn't go out of fashion before I make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki looks like the peplum is back in full swing this year. I don't think it's going to fade soon.

      Delete
  12. Another gorgeous version of this top for you! I'm actually sewing V8815 up now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I already know just how cute you will look in it too!!!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for hosting this, Faye! Am I too late to join in? I have at least 1 top I'd like to make for the pantone contest. Is adding darts to a rtw top refashioning or just tailoring?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Faye this top is really cute and will be gorgeous with a white skirt! You must take a picture of you in it when you get that white skirt created!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great top! I had to sleep on a zipper problem a while back. When I went back to it I realized I'd forgotten to put the specialty foot on my machine and was trying to put it in (invisible zip) with the regular foot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faye, I wanna sew tops! can I still join? pretty please.

    you know my blog already but www.mimigstyle.com

    xoxo
    Mimi G

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...