March 11, 2013

TWIX AND BETWEEN...

...after spending an entire month on my last project, guess you could say  I'm twix and between projects right now.  It's that awkward stage that visits every once and a while.  You know, wanna sew,  can't sew, don't really know what to sew - all of that.   But you know me - I'll force it.

I'm still excited about the Pantone Spring Colors though, and do plan to incorporate as many of them into my upcoming "SUMMER BREEZE" spring/summer wardrobe as possible.  I'm planning a few tank tops to pair with bright colored skinny leg trouser style pants.  So on Friday I went out looking for some tank  fabrics.  Wanted something silky feeling, not transparent, with adequate drape that won't stick to me when the temperature soar in just a couple of months. The only thing I was able to find locally that sort of fit the bill was peachskin.  Not exactly what I wanted, but it will do until I find a suitable alternative.

I found the Monaco blue and African violet, but was unable to find anything in emerald or nectarine.



I also picked up my favorite shade of green - that I call army, and it will become a tank top as well.




While lurking around  I found a nice inspiration tank on  Lula Louise's blog,  I loved the curved baseball tee hem detail that she added to Simplicity 2599.  It's a simple, easy breezy top - just what I want.  I love simple pieces that you can get lots of wear out of.

This weekend I made my seasonal trek out for some "snoop shopping".  WOW!, the Easter Bunny or somebody splashed paint all over Belks.  I got SO EXCITED!  If this department store is any indication - basically any and everything goes this spring.  Every color, every print, every style.  So if you're wondering what to do with crazy prints, patterns and colors that have somehow wandered into your stash - you can definitely use them this spring.

Had I been doing "Real Shopping", I probably would have spent $3,000 on this trek.  But of course I  was only "play shopping"  all the while telling myself - "I can make this", or "I have a pattern just like this".

Glad I don't have to pay $45 for an infinity scarf



 The trip was lots of fun though, and I did get lots of sewing inspiration ideas...

19 comments:

  1. I love snoop shopping. I like the colors you have there. Looks like you've got a good head start on your spring wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lisa, I'm hoping for an easy breezy summer sewing season!

      Delete
  2. I love snoop shopping too.. Look forward to seeing your spring projects :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your snoop is as enjoyable as mine Far. I have some high hopes of making up some great pieces.

      Delete
  3. Love the shades of those fabrics and I am too in that in-between seasons where it is still raining and cold but I just don´t want to sew for winter anymore. I spend a lot of time going through my summery fabric stash and all the magazines but no sewing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think non-sewing time is a good time to love on your stash too. I'm sure you are planning some lovely creations, and I sure will be watching out for them. You do know that I am a copy cat don't you?

      Delete
  4. I'm one of those strange women who doesn't like to shop!! Good thing I can sew my own stuff! Love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that's right Diana. When you are shopping and can't find the right fit or price it can be rather depressing. I am so thankful that my sewing skills have increased!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see what you make, now that you are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin I can't wait to see it also. You know that I sew much slower than the average sewist.

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear you are so excited, can't wait to see your new spring wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Toy, I use to not be so happy about what I then called window shopping - I'd almost get depressed because I couldn't afford to buy the things I wanted. It's so much easier now that I sew about 95% of what I wear.

      Delete
  7. I'm in the doldrums between winter and spring sewing. It was sunny and 60 all weekend, so I didn't finish the winter dress I have cut and partially sewn, but today it's raining and 40, and I might just finish it if this weather keeps up. Funny how the weather affects our projects, isn't it? At least your spring wardrobe will be useful soon, before mine is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, but I have a hard time letting go of winter myself. It's not totally gone here until after Easter so we are still waking up to what I call really cold mornings - like 32 degrees. I always have season transition anxiety Marjie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a little pretend shopping to get you in the mood for spring! I do that all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snoop shopping can be such fun and you can learn so much if you start trying things on. I think that's important when new colors and styles appear. I find what I think might look great often doesn't and also that there are surprises that show me new styles to try. Have fun with your inspiration, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much packed into that store. I was amazed, maybe because I hadn't been in a department store in so long.

      Delete
  11. A day out on the town is not only good for inspiration, it's just plain good for the soul. You'll be sewing up a storm soon.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...