March 3, 2013

NEW LIBRARY ADDITION...

...there are many books on my "Sewing Reference Wish List".  Some of them I just can't afford to get right now.  But my new library addition was very affordable especially since I saved my Amazon Gift Card birthday present just for this purchase.  I'd known for months that the new Claire Shaeffer Tailoring Techniques book was slated for release in mid February and felt that since I have a real interest in tailoring it was a must have.

I like the way the book is set up.  Like all of Shaeffer's books it is an easy read - meaning I really understand what it's saying.  The techniques are not complicated, and I can use them right off the bat to enhance the skills that I already have, as well as add new ammunition to my repertoire. There is just something about a tailored jacket or coat - it just wears better, lasts longer, and ends up being a piece that you really love.  (Maybe because of all the woman hours you put into it - huh Claire.)

Information is easy to find in this book so I won't have to have a hundred post it notes sticking out of it.  It's chapters are specific rather than having the information spread all over the place.  The chapters are:
  • Tailoring Techniques for Buttonholes
  • Tailoring Techniques for Patch Pockets
  • Tailoring Techniques for Interfaced Hems
  • Tailoring Techniques for Darts and Sleeves
  • Tailoring Techniques for Trousers
  • Characteristics of Couture Construction
Bam, that's it, plain and simple.  It also comes with a companion DVD which I haven't had time to review but will be getting to soon. I know I'll be pulling it from the shelf quite regularly which is the sign of a GOOD reference book. Now I really need to get her Fabric book which I've been too cheap to buy.  Maybe I can find a good used one on Ebay or Amazon.  Claire Shaeffer is world renown couturier, but I think I'm attracted to her work because I read some where that she was born and raised in Albany, Georgia.  Got to support your home girls.  Claire, you can mail my check to Warner Robins, Georgia in payment of this great book review...


21 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this or the fabric book. Thanks for the great tip Faye! I really need to increase my almost "non-existing" reference library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra although I do use the internet for sewing reference, my books are priceless.

      Delete
  2. It's a great book Myra, and so is her Couture Sewing Techniques book (it has a red cover). There is also an updated edition of the Couture Sewing Techniques book that has a pink dress on the cover. If you have any interest in tailoring at all, these are great books to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. S'funny I pre-order the same book and mine arrived this week too :) Maybe the woman-hours put into a tailored garment are directly proportional to the eventual life and longevity of the final make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will both enjoy this book. Claire I'd bet you have a very impressive sewing library.

      Delete
    2. LOL! Extensive and ever expanding is how I describe my sewing library (shhh... don't tell Hubby but I seem to be buying them faster than I'm reading them oops hehe!).

      Delete
  4. Faye - thanks for reviewing the book. I just finished going through it this week and was going to put up a review but now I don't have to because you did a great review of it. I like the book too and learned a few new things that I will incorporate into my sewing even if I don't do couture sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Carolyn. I'll be incorporating some of the techniques in my upcoming projects also.

      Delete
  5. I think I shall put this book on my birthday list, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Faye, and thanks so much. Love the simple chapter descriptions. It just makes a lot of sense and sounds like this book will be really easy to keep next to the machine as you tool through your next tailored project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet Bunny. I am planning at least a couple of jackets for the spring summer season.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the book review Faye. I will put this book on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Carla. Will you be going to the expo this weekend?

      Delete
  8. Great review. I think this book will join my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly. I'm sure you will enjoy the book.

      Delete
  9. Or, she could just send you the Fabric Book, and really make you happy! Hope you enjoy your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother will surely love this book, her hobby is to sew and repair our clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will enjoy it - it's a great book!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the review and this will be a definite addition to my reference stash.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...