May 17, 2014

MY FIRST BUT DEFINITELY NOT MY LAST - SAMMY CAMI...

...have you seen the Indie Iconic Sammy Cami pattern floating around blogland?


Like me, you probably already have several camisole designs tucked in your pattern stash.  It's not hard to be drawn to the word FREE, now is it?  I have a container full of camisoles on a shelf in my closet.  I often look for a particular color to wear with my cardigans, but so many colors are missing.  I need a rainbow of colors in that container.

Whether I choose a big 4 or an Indie pattern, it's very rare that I can make a pattern straight out of the envelope.  I finally came to realize that these companies don't just sit around and make patterns to fit MY body per se.  There are going to be some fit issues, even with a simple cami.  Today I wanted to make a muslin but my first issue was choosing a fabric.  So I turned to my stash.  Do you remember seeing this JoAnn's fabric.
April Johnson (Project Runway Season 8 and PR All Stars Season 1) designed Jersey knit
The fabric has been in my stash for 2 or 3 winters, I love jersey knit, but never used it because I did not want to take the time to match the design.  Today I decided that April's fabric had sat long enough so I used it for a muslin.  Here's my first attempt

What I did this time:
  • cut size 14 through the arms and chest area, tapering to size 16 in the side seams
  • Center front and center back (both cut on the fold) decreased at center neckline 1/2 inch because I often have problems with  patterns being too large in that area
  • used 10" strap measurement rather than 11 1/16" suggested by the pattern
  • added 2" to the length of the pattern
  • used foldover elastic for bindings and straps rather than self fabric
What I'll do next time:
.  cut size 12 through the arms and chest area, and taper to size 14 in the side seams
.  decrease front and back at center neckline one full inch
.  use 9" strap measurement
.  not lengthen the pattern at all

Honestly, I always been scared to try patterns with a continuous arm/strap binding. Never thought I'd be able to get that technique quite right.  It's not that hard after all.   I'd never used FOE, although I've had some in my stash for a long time, didn't know how to use it. Thanks to You Tube, now I know.

So all in all, my resulting cami is a little too large in the side seams, and a little droopy at center front and back.  But I've taken in the straps one full inch, and this cami will work just fine as a PJ top.  There will be other colorful Sammy Cami's in my container...

17 comments:

  1. Now that you have the new technique mastered, just think how many cami's you can add to your wardrobe! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Linda. I've been afraid to even pick up that fold over elastic for a very long time. How silly of me. Cami's here I come.

      Delete
  2. I printed this and can't find it now!

    Can you point me to your YouTube tutorial??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sure thing. This is the one that was most helpful.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_BSTa8_0F0

      Delete
  3. Thank you Ms. Faye, I have this pattern and it is on my to do list. Just bought some foldover elastic, for my first cami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your version Diane. Watch out for the neckline though.

      Delete
  4. Good One ! So finally the fears of binding is gone LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank God. However, there are still several (little fears) lurking around in here that I do plan on attacking soon.

      Delete
  5. Lovely tank and once you remake it with your modifications, you will have a rainbow of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sheila I can't wait for that rainbow of colors to appear.

      Delete
  6. This is a great cami Faye! I love the print and sorry it's too big but now you know! I love this pattern and just made about five of them I'm about to post too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra. Can't wait to see yours.

      Delete
  7. I admire your quest for a perfect fit. Now that you know what changes you have to make you´ll be churning those camisole out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great wardrobe basic to have altered and ready to go! I need to take a look at this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy my girls half a dozen camis every year for Christmas, because they are such a great, basic piece. I make all of my own, every time I have 1/2 yard of a great knit left over from another project. I go with shorter straps, too, so they don't fall off my shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely smart cami Faye - I can see that this could work with so many things. How wonderful you tried and mastered a new technique.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...